Saving Money on Nuts

Mixed Nuts
Nuts are a healthy addition to your daily diet, as well as delicious in many recipes. However, they can be pricey to pick up at the market. This is a guide about saving money on nuts.

Tips and advice for saving money on nuts as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Buy in Bulk

I purchase from a local market that gives me a choice of buying in bulk which is cheaper than the same nuts pre-packaged in another section of the store.

By kk22kk22

Freeze Nuts

Buy the nuts in bulk and freeze, shelled or unshelled.

By Evie5200

Sam's Club

We get mixed nuts at Sam's Club by the gallon.

By kffrmw88

Ways To Stretch What You Have

I read a lot of cooking magazines and they nearly always recommend decreasing the quantity of nuts, when remaking a recipe to lighten it up. They say to just toast them and then chop them up a bit more. This will intensify the nutty taste but you won't have as much total nut.

I freeze my pine nuts and use them a little at a time. I buy the big bag at Costco, because they are so expensive otherwise. For other nuts, I usually get them from the bulk bin, unsalted if possible.

By Jess

Make Tamari Almonds

Aldi is a good store for low priced nuts. To make a more exotic treat; buy roasted, unsalted almonds at Sam's or Costco, (usually a reasonable price) then make your own Tamari Almonds.

Ingredients

Directions

Spread almonds on a cookie sheet. Bake in a 350 degree oven, 8-10 minutes, max, just until they smell lightly toasted. Remove from oven, pour into a bowl, add 2 Tbsp. tamari, and stir until well coated (It will sizzle). Turn off oven, return nuts to cookie sheet and let cool in oven, (door ajar) stirring once or twice. I line sheet with foil for easier clean-up and easy transfer of nuts. Store in airtight container.

By Tinatalker

Do you have any advice to share? Feel free to post it below.

I hope you all heard about the re call on these nuts, good luck.

I buy nuts in bulk and store in ziplock bags and freeze. Its good for cooking, baking and roasting. Nuts get rancid very quickly.