Here's a quick and cool way (with minimal clean-up) to toast nuts and seeds, based on information I received from Linda Gossett, MPA, CFCS, Extension Educator - EFNEP, University of Idaho. This has become my favorite method for toasting smaller amounts of nuts and seeds!
This method works well for amounts ranging from a tablespoon to 1/2 cup. With larger amounts, some are likely to turn dark quicker than others. The time will vary depending on the size, type and temperature of the nuts/seeds and also may be influenced by the type of microwave.
- Spread from a tablespoon to 1/2 cup nuts or seeds evenly in a single layer in a flat, microwave-safe dish, such as a 9-inch microwave-safe pie plate.
- Add a small amount of soft butter or margarine or add a small amount of oil to the nuts/seeds. Use about 1/2 teaspoon fat per 1/2 cup of nuts/seeds; use proportionally less for smaller amounts of nuts/seeds. Stir the nuts/seeds to thinly coat with the fat. This small amount of fat helps with browning and speeds up the toasting process.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Stir and microwave for another minute.
- Check to see how the toasting is proceeding. Add more microwave cooking time one minute at a time because nuts and seeds can burn quickly. Stir after each addition of time.
Small amounts of thin nuts/seeds (sliced almonds or sesame seeds) could be finished at 2 minutes. Larger amounts of nuts, such as slivered or whole almonds, walnuts, pecans and sunflower seeds will take an additional minute or two more microwaving to become lightly browned and smell fragrant.
- Store any extra toasted nuts or seeds in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 weeks or freeze them in an airtight freezer container for 1 to 3 months.
3 More Solutions
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Here's a handy, fast way to toast chopped nuts for a recipe without turning on your oven on a sweltering hot summer day. . .Read More...
Toasting nuts or oatmeal before adding them to cookies enhances the flavor. Put them in a shallow pan and toast in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-20 minutes. Stir them every 5 min so they don't burn.Read More...
Roasted hickory nuts are a healthy and delicious treat just about everyone will love. This is a page about roasting hickory nuts.
Published by ThriftyFun.
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.