DecorationsGarden & Yard

Sealant for Outdoor Acrylic Art Project

What type of clear coat would I use? I painted a rural scene on a metal mailbox with acrylics with two coats of clear polycrylic satin finish. Do I also need to find a sealer suitable for outdoors/weather? Now I'm reading the polycrylic will not protect the painting outdoors?

There are special outdoor sealers like this one on Amazon. www.amazon.com/.../B004QTX2ME?tag=thrif06-20

Thx Judy. So the polyacrylic sealer won't work? Or do you know? Thank u again.

I know the one I recommended would work. I am not sure about yours

OK thanks so much.

So are you talking about a poly seal like Minwax makes? These can be waterproof for things like general clean ups and wipe ups, but eventually it will not hold up to wet weather beatings.

It's been years since I did anything that needed a seal for outside so I am not up on current products, but I know there used to be a bunch of them. I used to get them at Hechinger (which has been many years since they have been since the late 1990s.

If your piece is somewhat protected from the weather, you may be able to keep it going by protecting it at least twice a year with the poly you used.

If not, I would invest in a metal sealant. Our Home Depot guys and gals are very helpful especially in the paint area. I bet if you have one nearby they can help get you to the right product.

Best wishes! Post a pic of your handiwork!

Oh..you did post a photo...I missed it. Sorry about that. I didn't see it until I went to the home page. Yikes!! My bad!

Thank you, I will check with home depot, I appreciate your input. Yes it's MINWAX Polyacrylic sealer. I used it to seal acrylic and oil painting on wood for indoor and wasn't so sure for the outdoor project as I'm finding mixed info on it. Thanks again.

Polycrylic NOT Polyacrylic

It is frustrating to get mixed info. That is one of the challenges with products like these--they are sold for one purpose and unless someone has directly tested them for the other purpose, it is hard to give accurate info.

I know the minwax indoor products holds up to some water exposure. I used it on a nightstand which was my last refinish project many years ago have been known to have a water bottle sit on it and sweat and often set a bowl of ice cream which then gets condensation on the bottom, sit for an hour or so before I realize it and it wipes right off. But that is not hard weather over multiple days.

Post back what the HD folks tell you!