Selling Franklin Mint Collections

Category Miscellaneous
When selling a complete or just a few pieces of a collection, they maintain the highest value when still in their original packaging. This is a guide about selling Franklin Mint collections.

I have collection of 38 out of 39 Franklin Mint Curio Cabinet Cats, I am missing Porcelain Lace. About half have the paperwork, and I have the display case. The case in in fair condition, the figurines are in excellent condition with the exception of one. Cut Crystal, is missing the stand/base and the tail piece has been replaced. What is the approximate value?

By Mary R

Answers

You can do your research on eBay, Google and Replacements. Check sold listings on eBay to see what people are paying and not what people are asking.

Replacements has good photos and their asking price. These have not sold well and prices have been reduced.

Craigslist can be used if you decide to try to sell - just be careful.

I recently purchased the glass cabinets and 27 of the cats for $300 on E-Bay. I have since collected all but 3 of the cats. I am looking for the Art Deco, the Ruby Red Glass and the Porcelain Lace. If you should decide to sell I might be interested in the first two if you wish to sell them separately.

Thanks,
ConnieM
cmetz AT thoratec.com

I have those three cats. The price for Ruby Red and Porcelain Lace would be quite high because they are the most rare. If you seriously want to purchase them, let me know.

I have 15 cats in curio all in excellent condition any offers

I have a Franklin Mint Egyptian Cats collection with mirrored curio cabinets, new and still in original boxes, and am considering selling them. We have only taken a few pieces out of the boxes to see what they were before replacing them. I believe it is the entire set, but wonder what you would suggest about checking to make sure.

Is it necessary, or a bad idea, to unwrap and photograph each individual piece? I know it is more than cats; I have seen a beautiful vase which must also be part of the collection. Any advice would be welcome. eBay has individual pieces, and most are used, not new.

Answers

These seem to be valued pretty highly on the internet. Of course whether you can get a good price on them depends on the demand. There is something to be said for selling an entire collection, though of course doing that means that you will get a lesser price per item, but a bigger paycheck all at once.

As far as opeining them, it is well established that items must never be opened in order to have the best monetary value. So saying, if you are extra careful and need merely to photo them, then an argument could be amde for opening them up but sealing them as good as new after.