Separating Paper Currency That is Stuck Together

When money gets wet it may stick to each other when it dries. This guide is about separating paper currency that is stuck together.

I would like to know how to separate money bills that are stuck together? They are old and got wet, then dried. Please note that they are very dry, so I'm afraid they will break up. Please help.

By afaf

Answers

I would rewet the bills and see if they will separate on their own. If not, try using aluminum foil between bill corners sliding gently between and rewetting difficult areas. I haven't tried this idea out to see if it does work.

Yes, or try steaming them open by holding over a boiling pot of water. carla

I suggest you take them to a bank. Let them help you or replace the money, good luck.

Anonymous

I was going to say take them to the bank too! You don't want to mess with them at all my yourself and the bank will know what to do to be able to restore them.

Even if they can't be restored they will honor them and replace them! Money is replaced all the time! Ask for your bank manager when you take them in!

Take them to your bank as it has already been stated banks do this sort of thing daily so leave this problem in the hands of someone who knows what to do AND if they should mishandle the money they will replace it IF the serial numbers are still intact.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you go & do...good luck!

Recently I got some money gifted in envelope. The glue also sticked a Rs 500 note (INR). I tore the envelope and separated it with note carefully.

And for the remaining part that glued with note, i wet that portion of note. After rubbing the wet part lightly the sticked part of envelope paper come out gradually and later i dried the note.

Took mine to the bank, if they are stuck together they will not replace them. The bank needs to send them back to the mint separately.

I would like to know how to save some currency that has mold and mildew on it and also has become brittle to the touch?

By Raymond

Answers

If you just want to use the money, you could take it to a bank and they will just exchange it for you. If you are trying to save it for another reason, just try to wash it by hand and let it dry naturally.