Sewing Machine Will Not Sew in Reverse?

I have a Kenmore sewing machine, model #385.81524. It goes forward, but not in reverse.

By Barb

Best Answer

I'm a Singer person but can answer this one for you - either something is wrapped around the reverse mechanism inside the machine, or the gear is broken.

This is a job for a qualified Kenmore sewing machine repair tech - he/she will have the knowledge and tools to go straight in and sort the problem. Assuming the problem is not the gear (usually isn't but it could happen in which case your cost will go up a little), the repair and servicing (cleaning, oiling, check over for other problems) will cost you around $100.

you can buy a new machine at walmart for less than $100 - sometimes it's not worth fixing

Timing can be an issue. I had a singer model 9410 and the timing was out just enough that it wouls sew forward but not in reverse. I did some researchand the way to fix timing on the machine is to disconnect the gears that drive the shuttle, lower the needle to its lowest position and raise it slightly(3/32 of an inch) ad the line the shuttle hook up just to left of the needle.

hope this helps.

Hi
I'm quite new to sewing, but just found out that depending on what stitch you select, only some of them allow reverse stitching!!! Check on your instruction manual stitch chart and it tells you which will allow reverse! I was just about to take my machine for a service when I found this out! Hope this helps someone!

Home and Garden Repair Machines Sewing MachinesOctober 1, 2013
🐰
🍀
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Sewing-Machine-Will-Not-Sew-in-Reverse.html