Shish Kabob Tips and Recipes

Category BBQ and Grill
Enjoying this cooking style gives you a lot of variety of flavors depending on your choices and method. This guide contains shish kabob tips and recipes.

If you like heat and sweet you'll love this easy glaze! I used pork the first time, but it's also good with chicken; will be trying with beef and jumbo shrimp too. (If you decide to use shrimp remember that it cooks in about half the time as other meats do. Also, double skewer them for easy turning.)

• 2 Tbsp. Sriracha sauce
  • 1/3 cup honey
  • 2 lbs. meat of choice, cut into 1 inch cubes

Directions:

Heat grill to medium high and lightly oil grill plate.

Stir together Sriracha and honey in a small bowl.

Skewer the meat, grill for 6 minutes, turn over, brush generously with glaze, grill another 6 minutes, remove from heat, brush with more glaze and serve.

Note: Follow the directions by not brushing the glaze onto the meat until the first side has cooked and you've turned it over because honey burns easily. You want the glaze to be caramelized, but not overly charred. The second reason is because your glaze will not be tainted by the brush having touched raw meat and then dipped back into the glaze.

By Ann from Richland, WA

Yummy whether one inch cubes of beef, pork or chicken.

Directions:

Combine and mix all ingredients together. Marinade meat of choice for about 1 hour and then grill.

By Ann from Richland, WA

I was watching a neighbor grill assorted types of meat kabobs on our shared apartment community gas grill, and noticed that he was using metal skewers for some and bamboo skewers for others.

When I teased about how he must not have enough metal skewers for the amount of food he was grilling, he slyly smiled. He explained that he uses bamboo for beef because he likes his beef medium rare. Makes a lot of sense!

This was a light bulb moment for me because, when using metal, it would indeed transfer a lot more heat into the interior than bamboo!

By Ann from Richland, WA

When grilling, like "Hawaiian Chicken Kabobs", I thread each item on separate skewers, chicken on one skewer, onions on one skewer, mushrooms on one, etc. Chicken takes longer than onions to cook. You want the chicken cooked before the onion, mushrooms, green pepper, etc. You get the idea.

Source: Just thought about the cooking times for each item.

By redskin from Brockville, Ontario, Canada

I have found a way to cut costs on meats. If you have a large family, this will also help on costs of meats and vegetables. I went to an Adult Birthday Party and all the meat was served kabob style.

This is a guide about mess-free kabob assembly. With a little ingenuity you can make assemplying a kabob faster and less messy.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

Pour salad dressing over meat cubes; refrigerate, covered, at least 3 hours. Dip vegetables in marinade, then alternate with meat on skewers.

After removing cooked food, push skewers through a soap-filled steel wool pad before putting them into water. It will loosen the gunk and make washing them much easier.

A really good way to have kielbasa is on a shish kabob. I just cut them into 1 inch slices and also take sirloin steak cut into 1 inch (approx) squares, cut onion and green bell pepper into small pieces--big enough so they don't fall apart when you skewer them.

With no added salt and very little oil in the marinade, these broiled or grilled kabobs made with skinless chicken breasts are lower in saturated fat, cholesterol, and sodium.

I am wanting to make some chicken with sausage kabobs.Does anyone have a marinade recipe they would like to share?

Sabrina from Council, N.C.

Answers

HI! As far as the Kabobs I would do the chicken and sausage seperate. For the chicken(about 4 skinless boneless breasts) I use

1 1/2 cup Terryiaki sauce
4 tablespoons of spicy brown mustard
1 med clove of garlic (smooshed) (not the tech. term for it but it will do)
1/2 cup light brown sugar
pepper to taste
mix it well with a fork cooking
reserve 1/4 mixture to pour over cx after cooking
add chicken
(great a day ahead but still good after 30 min marinating)
grill (you can add bruised chive as well)
for the sausage I would just brush on a little butter ( or spray butter YUM!) salt pepper grill as a whole then cut after resting... hey I am a still learning but I hope this helps my husband and friends loved it! (side dish I served a light mixed salad and some buttered rice) HAVE A GREAT 4th!!!

What are the best skewers for shish ka bob so that the food doesn't start to spin when you rotate the skewer? I have the large kabob baskets that have a lid, so all you do is turn the basket over, but cleaning all of those spaces between the metal bars is a pain. Opinions?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

Answers:

Shish Kabob Tips

We have used bamboo and metal. The trick is to put TWO skewers through the chunks and they do not spin.

Good luck! (04/19/2007)

By Tina G

Shish Kabob Tips

Tina G said it well. It's just what we do down here. I buy bamboo skewers by the 100 pack, soak them and insert 2 through what ever I'm cooking. Works great with shrimp and scallops.... (04/19/2007)

By arsonhorse

Shish Kabob Tips

You can put the basket in a small trash bag with ammonia. Close the bag and leave outside overnight. Easy clean up the next day. (04/20/2007)

By Teena

Shish Kabob Tips

I made an investment in metal kabobs. No need to replace, no spinning (they aren't round). Because they are metal: they don't burn, splinter, break and no need to soak. Saves money, and the environment. (04/22/2007)

By Heather

Shish Kabob Tips

I soak my basket in hot suds and than use a brillo pad. (04/23/2007)

By Chris Poniatowski

Shish Kabob Tips

Things won't usually stick if you spray the basket all over lightly with cooking spray or wipe with a light coating of cooking oil (Don't use olive oil or butter because they get hotter than other oils. I use canola). I lightly coat everything with oil and everything is so much easier to clean.

P.S. The feedbacks about using soaked bamboo or metal skewers and using two so they don't roll are good ones.

love this site. You can share what you know and learn about what you don't know. I've gotten some really good information from this site. (06/30/2007)

By sunbrnbch