Siberian Husky Breed Information and Photos

This intelligent breed is friendly and usually bonds more deeply with one person in the family. This guide is about Siberian husky breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Siberian Husky is a quick and athletic dog with a moderately compact build and a smooth, effortless gait. This intelligent breed is friendly and gentle and usually bonds more deeply with one person in the family. This breed is an independent thinker and can be a bit stubborn at a time. Still, if properly trained the Siberian Husky makes a great companion for the whole family and has a natural affinity for children.

Group: Working Group.

Purpose of Breed: Pulling sleds

Country of Origin: Siberia, Russia.

Average Size: Ranges from 20-23 1/2 inches tall and 35 to 60 pounds.

Color(s): Any color from black to pure white. Masks on the face are common.

Coat Type: A double coat consisting of a soft, dense downy undercoat and a dense, smooth and soft outer coat of medium length hair.

Grooming: This breed is an average shedder and requires routine brushing-even more so when it fully sheds its coat (at least once per year). Standard care is required for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Siberian Huskies make good house dogs. A fenced yard and plenty of exercise are crucial for this energetic breed.

Temperament: The Siberian Husky is very friendly and gentle and although he will show affection to his entire family, he is really a one-man dog. Not naturally suspicious of strangers, the Siberian does not make a good watch dog. These dogs have a tendency to dig and an innate need to run and pull. They are not suitable for homes that want to retain perfect landscaping, and they need to be kept either confined or controlled at all times. This dog also has a strong predatory instinct and other small family pets may at times seem like prey. This dog has an excellent temperament and lives well as a pack dog.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to epilepsy, hip dysplasia, obesity and eye problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 11-13 years.

Trivia: In 1925 in the city of Nome, Alaska, dog teams of Siberian Huskies led heroic "serum runs" during an epidemic outbreak of Diphtheria.

More Information: Siberian Husky Club of America, Inc.

Does anyone here have a great experience with Siberian Huskies? I would really like to know a few personal experiences before I get her and-to tell you the truth!-I really don't know what to expect!

Casey from Salem, SC

Answers

We owned a husky for 14 years, great dog. They don't bark like a regular dog they yip. Make sure you take her for walks. They need lot of walks. They will take off and run like crazy, if they get out by mistake. They are gentle with babies and kids.

We owned several cats and she was fine with them, and the other dog we still have. Bad points... they shed in chunks,2x's a year she shed . she looked like she was moulting like a moose. They need lots of brushing. i hear males only shed once a year, but she was a sweet girl. We always had chunks of fur on the rug. really bad shedding.

We had to put her down because she had arthritis in the hip and was having trouble getting up. A friend of mine had a Samoyed husky and it too had arthritis. I hear they are prone to it. Loves, loves, loves cold cold weather, and loved to run in snow. Thought of hooking up sled to her. She pulled my son on sled many a time. He would walk her with his bike and she would pull him around the block. He was a chunky kid and she pulled him with ease. Good dog miss her. Good luck with your girl.

I have had two female Siberian Huskies and I love them. We live in the country and they will roam if they are loose. One would go a mile away and stay on a man's porch until we drove over to get her. They both had a great temperament. Always be kind to them. Both were very possessive about their food. They don't share.

I would not get them spayed too early. Better to wait after one heat or one batch of pups.

These dogs love to run -- I mean run away! Make sure you have a good fence to keep them penned in! - Tom Kirwan

You know the other name for a husky? Sled dog.

You don't walk them, they pull you. Yes, they need lots of walking and pulling, so if you really can't or won't do that, save yourself the real grief of a neurotic, bad tempered dog.

Try walking the dog with roller skates. For you, not the
dog.

For the shedding, a Dyson vacuum comes highly recommended.

We own two of them and they are the best dogs in the world. They don't do alot of barking, but are very protective in a gentle way. They do love to run, but we have a fenced in yard. One is a diabetic, but she is doing fine, other younger one just had surgery for a torn acl. We can play, roll on, pat anything we want with them. We also have two pomerian's and they are much louder and more energetic then the other two. We love our dogs, but you won't go wrong with a siberian husky.

A beautiful blue-eyed Siberian huskey showed up on the doorstep at my place of work. She spent the day sleeping in my office and enjoying all the attention my co-workers gave her. After contacting several radio stations and the Humane Society, I took her home, thinking someone would contact me.
Nobody called. I had a 6-ft. stockade fence around my whole back yard and soon learned she was able to dig under it for an almost daily adventure. Everyone who found her either took her home and called me or kept her confined at their place of business (a Jiffy Lube, Ryan's Steakhouse, a car dealership, an all-night grocery store, a car parts store, etc.) until I returned home to claim her once again. I finally gave her to a young man who lived in the country and who jogged daily, thinking the daily jog would satisfy her need to 'run.' A few days later, I received a call from someone in another town saying that they'd found my dog. The new owner had failed to take off my name & address tag and replace it with his. I later learned that these dogs do not like to be left alone for any length of time and tend to be 'roamers.' Every time I'd block off a place she'd dug out, another place would be dug. She was also very frightened of thunderstorms even when in our garage. She almost clawed thru the door between our kitchen and garage one night. These dogs are loving and are beautiful and make wonderful pets IF someone is available to give them the attention they need when they need it.

We had a husky in the 80's and he was a sweetheart. He had a favorite kitty and they played like to little fools. He was a very gentle dog and we loved him.

Not all Siberians get along with cats. I used to breed them and warn the families about this. I do have a 12 year old though who has never attacked a cat. In fact, when our cats died, she laid by each of them to protect them from my other dogs. They are a great family dog but the majority of them will kill cats.
They are very intelligent animals but are very independent and do tend to be very good escape artists.
Their temperment is very loving and are very good with children from the git go. When giving them food, we always put our hands near the food and took it away often to make sure that they would allow people to be around their food without incident. Treaties were always taken with gentleness.
They are very capable of walking on a leash but because their fur gets so thick you may have to use a choke collar that digs into the neck and give him slight corrections when he tries to lead you. Never let him lead you as they are very strong animals. Always keep a short leash.
I would always recommend a siberian for a family dog.

Thanks everyone - so much! I love my new little Keira! She is so sweet and precious, but she has a slight mean streak but she is as smart as a whip! Last night was my first night with her and all she wanted to do was lay down with me. I thought it was all fine and dandy until she woke me up a little after 11:00 pm...2 am...and some time after 4 am this morn. She either wanted off the couch or she wanted on the couch. She found out how to get off her self but she is so little she can't get up by herself.

But as I was saying about her being so smart; we have four small dogs in the house...toy poodle mix, shitzu, and two pikaneeze, (sorry if none of those are spelled right)...anyway, she would waddle her little self over to the pad, and would go potty where the other dogs had gone. I was so glad that she would do that and not go everywhere and or anywhere besides that. But every time last night and this morn she would go where the others did. I was so relieved. Anyway she is six weeks old right now and also she was the runt of the litter. She was the only one that was the color of the silver that she was. The rest of her siblings were either white and black or just a cream color.

I love her and so does my boyfriend Josh. We are both the ones who will be taking good care of her. Thanks again to everyone that answered my little ordeal up there. It is all great advice. When I get my camera uploaded completely on to my computer I will post her picture! Thanks again and I hope you all have a great life with your Siberian as well!

I have a 1 year old Siberian Husky named Shiloh. She was my sister in laws dog then my sister in law moved and couldn't take Shiloh with her so me and my husband gladly took her. Funny thing is, I said I don't want a dog that sheds a lot. Well, now I vacuum everyday and the vacuum is full of hair when I'm done. But, I would not trade her for anything. She is my baby. We do not have kids yet so she is basically our daughter. She loves her walks and just sitting out on our back deck staring into the woods, waiting for a bunny or some kind of animal to come into our yard. She loves anything that moves, animals, bugs, leaves. She will chase leaves on a windy day and it's so cute to watch.

She does have a major digging problem that we plan on fixing with a shock collar. We have tried everything else and nothing works. She is so spoiled. She gets 3-4 walks a day and whenever she wants to play she will howl "talk" to us until we play. She is very smart and knows what we are saying but just sometimes doesn't want to listen. They say Huskys will only do something if they see a point to it. We have to put a leash on her when she goes in the backyard cause she wont come in and when we try to go bring her in she thinks its a game and runs (she is fast). So the leash gives us something to grab her by. I love her so much. She is my best friend. Huskies have a mind of their own so be prepared to be up for a challenge when trying to train them. They are smart but need to see a point to doing some hint. They shed a lot, definitely need lots of exercise and they are not dogs that just lay around so if your planning on getting one you cant be a couch potato. Huskies love being active and being part of the family. I heard a saying and its so true. "You don't own a husky you share your life with them." Its so true. They "talk" (wine, howl) when they want something and they are the friendliest most lovable dogs ever, except since they get so hot cause of all the fur when they get over a year old they do not like to cuddle cause they just get to hot. I will never own anything but a Siberian Husky.

If your thinking of getting a husky just remember they need lots of exercise and attention, they love to run so never ever walk them off a leash cause they will take off no matter how ell they are trained, they can jump high so you need at least a 5 foot fence, they love to dig and they have a very independent way of thinking but they are the greatest dogs in my mind,

I have a Husky. Her name is Klondike. She has been a very willfull dog from day one. I took her to obedience school. After several weeks the trainer gave up. She likes to please us but only to an extent and she is very smart. I tell her every day that she's lucky we love her because she is such a handful. She is also quite neurotic about food. This may be because she was an abandond pup, who knows, but for the first 3 or 4 years of her life she would take mouthfulls of kibble and put it in various corners of the house. My greatest advise would be that you're sure that your ready for the commitment. Oh yeah, and buy areally good vacuum cleaner!

My Husky is 5 months old so he is still in an awkward growing stage. His ears and snout are fully developed like an adult dog, but the rest of him is still growing. He has all Husky features such as pointy ears, blue almond-shaped eyes, big bushy tail, little husky-like paws, and he runs very fast and is light on his feet. He has a Husky mask pattern on his face, but the pattern on his body is blotched with black and white? I am very confused. I thought maybe he was just a piebald Husky, but lots of people are saying he's mixed? I'm not sure.

Answers

Does it really matter if he is purebred or not? He's your fur baby and he's gorgeous. I hope that you love and respect one another for many years to come.

A purebred husky can be piebald. This doesn't prove that he is or isn't purebred. It is a possibility. You still shouldn't breed him if you don't know his genetic history.

Anonymous

Kind of reminds me of a german Shepherd or sheep dog mixed with husky

He is beautiful... but he definitely looks mixed

I got my Siberian Husky about a month ago and he is doing really well for us. I got him for my bday and his name is Dexter, of course. I'm really wanting to know if he is 3 months old. Does anyone possibly know if so please tell me?

Answers

Your puppy needs to be vaccinated and when you take him to the vet, he can tell you his age. They can look at his teeth to see how old he is or use the dog's weight and size to determine his age.

We can't tell from a picture. A vet or someone who works in a pet shelter or pet shop could.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Qadira is a 15 month old Siberian Husky. We got her from a breeder in Tennessee and had her sent down to Florida when she was just a few weeks old!

She loves having treats of course, running, and she especially loves to swim. She can swim for hours! Qadira has somewhat webbed paws so they are perfect not just for running in the snow, but it makes her a very strong swimmer. A regular fish!

A week after we welcomed her into the family, we noticed something was very wrong. We took her to the hospital and he told us she had Parvo virus. She was in the animal hospital for two weeks, and we visited everyday.

When we contacted the breeder, she told us that the other puppies she had were dying of Parvo as well. Apparently the vet who gave them the Parvo injections when they were born administered them incorrectly. Ninety-eight puppies died that month, but Qadira decided she was going to live, and she did!

By KatFish from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Qadira Siberian Husky

Comment Like this photo? 12

Zoey is a 1 year old Siberian Husky. I adopted her 2 months ago. She loves playing in the snow, going to the dog park, going for walks, and sleeping. She is very scared of people, I think she may have been abused when she was younger. She is doing a lot better though. I try to bring her out as much as possible so she can get used to people. When she knows you are a nice person, she is the sweetest fluff ball!

By Samantha

Zoey (Siberian Husky)

Comment Like this photo? 15

This is Oreo, aka Cookie Monster, a 4 year old Siberian Husky. She's a rescue that was found running the streets at approximately 6 months old

She likes to play with a tennis ball and juggle between her paws and mouth. She is a nut, you never know what she will do to make you laugh.

I never expected her to be so good with my 3 month old grandson. But she is so gentle with him, it's sweet. Here I put antler ears on her and she could have cared less. But boy was she cute!

By Julie from Brockton, MA

Oreo (Siberian Husky)

Comment Like this photo? 7

Monroe is 1 1/2 years old and a Siberian Husky. My daughter found a dog that was in need of a home. We brought Monroe into our family over a year ago. She enjoys retrieving toys and bringing them to us. She loves to go on walks and enjoys the company of other dogs. I wrote a poem about Monroe:

Ms. Monroe
Peculiar Ms. Monroe!!
Beautiful, mysterious
Blue eyed husky
Wants to play and then runs away
Conversant howls
Determined to get her way.
Ms. Monroe, what are you thinking?
Always in deep contemplation.
Ms. Monroe you brighten my world!!!

By Cathy from CA

Monroe (Siberian Husky)

Comment Like this photo? 8

Your Pet's Age
16 weeks

Your Pet's Breed
Husky

How and when did you get your pet?
We got him from of a friend on April 1st.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
He loves to go out to play and run.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
He loves to be very sneaky, he thinks he is, but we catch him. He is a very active, smart dog.

Comment Like this photo? 8

Keira is 6 1/2 weeks old and is a Miniature Siberian Husky. I got her as an early Christmas gift in late November.

husky pup

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Rusty is our 1 year old Lab/Shepherd mix. We got our dog from the SPCA about 2 months ago. He loves to play and run and chew. He has a Mr.Bill doll (remember, from Saturday Night Live?)...

Dog with toy.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

I got her when she was 3 months old. She likes to dig and splash in mud puddles.

closeup of Husky lying down

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

Max is 2 months old and a Siberian Husky. We got him about a month ago at a local pet store.

Max (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Nanuk is an 11 month old Siberian Husky. I got her on CraigsList People were moving and could not take her. Some people took her and brought her back. She was too much trouble. I took her the day after they brought her back. She does get into a lot of trouble.

Nanuk (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Because I never really introduced Dakota, I decided I would today. Dakota is a purebred Siberian Husky that was born in Hawaii on November 22, 2006.

Dakota (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Dakota was from a shelter and Willow was from a rescue. They like to run around the back yard at full tilt.

Dakota and Willow

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 4

I'd got my Husky June 2014 from my friend.

black and white photo of Jager

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

April is a 4 year old Siberian Husky. My son bought her on Father's Day for my husband. We all fell in love at first sight! She loves taking walks, playing fetch with her ball and rubber bone, and absolutely loves blizzards and diving in the snow.

April (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

This is my 6 month old Siberian Husky puppy, Ice. We got her as a 6-week-old puppy-the mother dog had run out of milk when the puppies were only 4-weeks-old.

Ice (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Jada is a 5 month old Siberian Husky. I got her 3 months ago, from a breeder.

Jada (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

I got him 1 month ago by making a 2 hour drive. He likes to cuddle, dive in the snow, and to run free with you, and a lot more.

Dexter (Siberian Husky)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes