Singer 66-6 Won't Stitch

My newly acquired Singer 66-6 machine won't stitch. It was stiff and with cleaning and penetrating oil it loosened up and now runs very smoothly. However, it will not form the loop and no stitches are made. The upper thread coils up, then breaks, at times the bottom thread "locks" and the rotation stops. I've tried all sorts of tension settings, I've "verified" the timing, with the bottom timing mark coinciding with the needle lined up with the tip of the hook. Needle bar is in the very middle of its adjustment travel, bobbin is free and "properly" threaded, new genuine Singer needle. I'm at a loss, could use a little help, thanks.

Hi,

Have you made sure the presser foot is not sticking in a half-way down position? Also how about the tension of the thread. This is an interesting question, if you find out what the problem is, would you post the answer here?

----Thank you,

Robyn

Thanks for your replies. The presser foot goes all the way down and the tension tightens when the foot is in sewing position. I just took out the toothed conveyor and the bobbin case to be able to observe the movements of the hook and the (threaded for this purpose) needle. It all seems normal, needle goes down, meets the hook at the right time, goes around the bobbin to form the loop , then the cycle repeats. The oddity is that when I insert the bobbin, the thread has a rough time to travel around the bobbin case, catching against the bobbin case.

When there is thread on the bobbin, it catches and knots, making the machine to want to stop. I guess this is the point where the upper thread frays and breaks, as it goes up and down on the same length of thread. I will try advancing the hook timing a bit, to see if the thread goes around easier. Right now the timing is right on the money, with the meeting of hook and needle at the bottom timing mark of the needle shaft.
Robin I will keep you guys posted if I find the solution, so that others won't have to go through this.

Hi,

Thank you so much. I would love to know what solution you find to this :)

Blessings,

Robyn

Make sure no threads or bits of fabric are stuck under the feed dogs.

It sounds like you have really been working at this for some time.

I have found that sometimes I just miss a "step" or something and can never get everything to working right.

There are several groups that I "join" (no charges) so that I could ask questions about my vintage Singers and they have always been patient in trying to help me (an amateur).

If you would like to contact some of these they may be able to help you but they also have excellent tutorials on some of the sites. You will have to join (email) but I do not think you will regret it - especially Ismacs.

ismacs.net/digest.html

groups.io/.../vintagesingers

vssmb.blogspot.com/

mysewingmachineobsession.blogspot.../.../how-to-service-and-clean-singer-66...

archaicarcane.com/.../

Thanks CG, I sure have been trying hard to get my 66 to work. I have learned enough to be able to get my White 1065 going again, but the Singer hasn't budge. Thanks for the links, I'll go through them in search of my solution. I wander what happens if someone loosens the "QQ" screw (fig 21 on the manual, which advises that under no circumstances that screw is to be loosened).

My machine has been poked before and this "QQ" screw is something I have not delved into. Perhaps at one point the screw was loosened and the bobbin lost its clearance.

Please try asking on the Ismacs site as these are true sewing machine people and they love to help solve problems.
I really love receiving their messages as they are always interesting.
You can sign up for just emails and not a member (membership cost money and email is free).
Since you may need help with something else in the future this is a good site to join.
ismacs.net/digest.html