Singer Sewing Machine Runs When Turned On

My new to me, Singer 6268 sewing machine, will automatically start when turned on and run very fast! The foot pedal is air?, and even when the pedal is disconnected the machine still starts when switched on. So, the pedal is not the issue. I have gotten underneath and found dust, pins, and needles. I cleaned out all of the debris to no avail. Any other ideas? I'm rather mechanical and ready to sew. So which motor apparatus do I dismantle?

Here is a link to the top eleven reasons your sewing machine is not working right 11 things to fix it www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIqSb9MD5q4

There is a piece called the capacitor in the foot pedal. You can remove it and it will solve your problem.

Runs withOUT foot pedal plugged in??

If you are still having problems you may be able to get answers from a local Singer store or from Singer on line.

• Here is a link to a free manual:
  • www.singerco.com/.../search
  • This is a link to Singer support. You can call during business hours or there is an email address and they usually reply within a few days (Holiday period may take longer).
  • Ad

• www.singerco.com/contact-us
  • You may be able to find help locally if you Google Singer support with your zip code.
  • Sears repair shop may also have answers.
  • Some local craft stores (JoAnn's, Michael's) may be able to give you a name to call - usually free help from teachers (sewing classes).