Slow Cooker Chili with Black Beans
I love this chili because it makes a fabulous hearty meal, but also doubles as a fantastic appetizer or party food, scooped up with some corn chips. Being able to set it and forget it in your slow cooker is also a huge plus.
I made this batch extra meaty using 3 pounds of ground beef. You can lower the amount to 1.5 or 2 pounds, if you desire.
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 4 hours
Total Time: 4 hours 20 minutes
Yield: 10-12 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 lb ground beef
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 poblano chili, minced
- 3 cups beef stock
- 1 (16oz) can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (16oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14.5oz) can diced tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook until browned, about 5 minutes, crumbling the beef as it cooks. Drain excess fat.
- Add the garlic, onion and poblano chili. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer beef mixture to slow cooker.
- Stir in beef stock, kidney beans, black beans, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chili powder, paprika, oregano, and cumin. Set to high and cook for 4 hours. Alternatively, set to low and cook for 8 hours.
- Serve with your favourite toppings. I used shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream, and corn chips.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!