Slumber Party Ideas

Category Planning
A memorable party for youngsters can be a sleep over. This guide contains slumber party ideas.

My granddaughter just turned 7 and she wanted to have a slumber party with her friends to celebrate. But many kids her age have fears of spending a night away from home (and mom and dad). So my daughter decided to invite them over in their pajamas at 9 a.m. for a pancake party.

The pancakes became the birthday cake and the kids could top them with a variety of syrups and sprinkles. The birthday child had candles in hers. By 11 a.m., the party was over and they had the rest of the day to enjoy with their family. Very little expense and the novelty of the idea mixed with the excitement of the kids contributed to fun for all, especially my daughter.

By anne from Green Bay, WI

My daughter planned her slumber party to start at 2:30 in the afternoon and we need something inexpensive for the kids to do. There will be 8 kids and we already figured out a couple of things, but they will probably be up for a longtime and we need some help fast because the party is in March. Her theme is neon doodle (the theme is from Party City). Please give us some ideas for my 12 year old.

By Linda.G

Answers

Best Answer

How about pizzas for a snack, and they make the pizza? Lots and lots of movies - for the evening. Board games, in some sort of contest. Monopoly takes a couple of hours. Making some sort of craft? You could get kits or find something on the internet that might be inexpensive. Spa afternoon - doing each others hair and nails?

My daughter having her 12th birthday soon and she is going to go to the mall and 3/4 of the girls are coming back to our house for a sleepover. What games should I do for activities?

By annoymous from Great Britian, England, Preston

Answers

For my birthday, we did a scavenger hunt! You can do this around the neighborhood, house, mall, or grocery store. For a store, divide the girls up into 2 or more groups, then make a list of items that are inexpensive but still fun (ex. nail polish, lipgloss, stickers, bandanas). If it's in the house, hide all of the presents while the girls are distracted, then make clues and put them all over the house, when the guests and party girl find the presents, it's time to unwrap them! Also, for a twist on truth or dare, try dare double dare or fire! Someone will ask "dare, double dare, or fire?" if the person answers dare, they will do a simple dare.

If they answer double dare, every person has to do the dare. If they choose fire, the person will have to complete a big dare. Another fun game is Flashlight tag. Wait until dark, and arrange the area where the guests are sleeping with one sleeping bag in the middle of the room. Have "it" holding a flashlight and turn off all of the lights. Have the other guests hide around the room while "it" counts to 100. Then, the guests will try to get to the center sleeping bag without "it" hearing them and shining the flashlight on them. All of these activities are super fun! All of my guests were talking about the party for weeks. I hope I helped!

Last year we chose to do my daughters "kids party" almost 6 mos. after her "real birthday"(which happens to be Christmas Eve), since that's a difficult time for a birthday party. It's a nice change. Instead of pizza I made up a batch of spaghetti and meat balls for their dinner...but the surprise was how I served them all. You should've seen the look on the girls faces when I threw on the floor and told them to eat it off the floor! Of course I had mopped, disinfected and put down a couple of disposable table clothes.

It was a Hoot as soon as the girls got use to the idea. We took video and share it with friends and family. And...this year the girls are all asking to do it again. I actually got the idea from an interview with Joan Rivers. She was describing a memory of her daughter she had. I thought it would be great fun. It is messy, but...oh, so much fun for the girls!

For games you should do...
scavenger hunt inside? hide and go seek? blind make overs? fashion show? mystery game?

I'm having three friends over to sleep (in 4 days) for my birthday, but it's not a big birthday it's just my 14th. My mum doesn't want to spend a heap of money because they don't have a lot, but yeah.

I just don't have that many ideas and I don't want them getting bored! So if you guys have any that would help a lot.

Answers

When I was your age, this was how I celebrated my birthday too. We usually just did hair and make up together. Sometimes we would have a dance contest or watch a movie. My Mom always made caramel corn and other inexpensive snacks for us. One time we went to a park and ran around, but usually we just hung out at home. Have FUN! Happy Birthday!

I'm having a Kids Choice Awards Sleepover Party. Can you give me some ideas on what to eat, do, and decorations. The girls are in seventh grade and are 13. Anything on this is helpful. Thanks!

Stephanie from Brockton, MA

Answers

There were ideas for hosting oscar parties in most major magazines recently. Why not check those out? I'm sure that a lot of these ideas could be adapted to the Kid's Choice Awards. But don't forget the slime -- since it's a Nickelodeon event, there will be plenty of it! All you have to do is add some green food coloring to vanilla pudding. The kids are sure to love it!

here are a few links for "Oscar Party" ideas... Don't forget some Orange paper "splats" !

www.chiff.com/art/movies/oscar-party-ideas.htm
www.ehow.com/how_6930_throw-oscar-party.html
www.ehow.com/how_2025988_host-academy-awards-party.html

Hope they help!

By Christine (Guest Post)

I'm hosting our 2nd annual KCA Party! It's a blast! Serving Slime Pizza "add green food coloring to cheese". Slime cake 'A layered cake topped with green colored instant vanilla pudding. Serving green 7-Up & Ginger Ale. Making a ton of green jello for an outdoor jello fight. We live in Florida. We hose the kids down and let them swim after. You can download a press kit from Nick complete with games and decorating ideas! Have fun!

By KCA Luvr (Guest Post)

At nick.com/kca they have lots of party ideas and games! Music and Dancing is fun.

We have one every year for my boys who are now 9 and 6. We just try to model or name the food after the shows in some way. We have The Patrick which is 7up and Grenadine (the kiddie cocktail at some restaurants). We make green milkshakes after dinner. This year we are going to try to make spaghetti tacos, and I am not sure what show they saw that on! I am making cupcakes with purple icing and a big splat of orange on the top, like the logo. We have treat bags for them with Nickelodeon themed favors (usually Spongebob stuff) and I download the theme songs for Drake and Josh, iCarly, Zoey 101, etc., and this is the music while we eat. They of course like to fill out their ballots before the show to see how many they can guess right. I am thinking of making them red vests out of felt that look like the one Josh wears when he works at the movie theatre.

Spaghetti tacos come from iCarly. A restaurant near me has even put them on their kids' menu.

I have this problem, I want a slumber party for my daughter, but I have two reasons to reconsider. One, my house is not that big. Two, she wants to invite boys over too, which is kind of awkward for me, but I don't mind. The real problem is my house is very small and it would not be large enough for 10 kids that are 12 years old. It would be very helpful if anyone had a idea what to do with this type of problem.

-Maya

My daughter is turning 12 in 3 weeks. She wants a slumber party, but my house isn't big enough. Where can I have the slumber party?

My daughter's birthday party is less then 2 weeks away. She wants to have a slumber party, but I live in a 2 bedroom apartment; one with a bunk bed, which is her room.There are three other people living there as well and she wants 3 more people spending the night. Should I let her have one?

By Samantha A from Sylvania, OH

Answers

Of course you should! 12 is such a fun age for girls to have slumber parties. Who cares about the space. They'll still have fun.

Absolutely! Just tell, or include on invitation for everyone to bring a sleeping bag. That's half the fun! Throw in some snacks and a few movies and they will have a blast.

Absolutely! They don't care about the space and four girls won't get too noisy - you'll be there to shush them if they do.

You didn't say how old the other people are in the apartment, but if there are kids, perhaps they could stay at a friend's house for the night. My best friend watched my boys when my daughter had a slumber party so they weren't annoying the girls the whole night (I took them over after the cake and presents).

I'm having a neon slumber party in a few months, but I don't know what to do. My daughter is an "extreme" girly girl, but I need some ideas. I want this party to be a party that 11/12 year old girls will never forget. I need your help.

By Linda.G

Answers

You can have a makeup/ spa, or create shirts with tie die or highlighters, that's what I'm doing for my slumber party!

My daughter is turning twelve and wants to have friends sleepover. How many should I let her have, our house is medium size?

By Amy

Answers

When I was younger and wanted to have a larger sleepover my mom would take a sleeping bag and see how many sleeping bags could comfortably fit on the floor of where we were sleeping. That is how many I was allowed to invite.

Anonymous

4-6 friends pick an area with a tv and lots of space

My birthday is in a few months, in winter, so it's sort of limited as to what we can do. I want to have a hotel-themed birthday/slumber party, but not at an actual hotel. I want to decorate my house sort of like a hotel, and act like it is a hotel. I have a few ideas, but altogether I'm not sure what I should do, and how I should decorate, mostly. If you have any other ideas for any other themes, can you explain them in as much detail as you can? Thank you!

By Savannah S

Answers

Wonderful theme. Make sure you have a continental breakfast. A chech-in desk. And a lobby sofa and chairs. Plenty of green plants.

What are some good movies for a slumber party?

By Jessica

Answers

Anonymous

I haven't been to a slumber party for 45 years so can't suggest any current movie titles but, in my humble opinion, anything scary; age appropriate of course ;-)

If you want scary
Campfire Tales
When A Strangers Calls
The Ring

If you want funny
Miss Congeniality 1 and 2
Sydney White
Sleepover
Hope it helps (:

My best friend and I are doing an allnighter tonight. We got plenty of sleep last night so we're well rested! What should we do and what should we do to stay awake? I want out of the box answers. We cannot go outside because her parents don't really want us going outside after they go to bed. Thank you. We need the answers fast.

By Girly and cal

Answers

Is there a 24 hr Walmart? Make a "Walmart Scavenger Hunt"-either stuff to buy or even better-take pictures of the items!

Have a make up party. Gives you more ideas on how to fix each other up.

I will be 17 on the 14th of August. I'm having a sleepover/slumber party and I don't know what type of food and activities I should have. Any ideas?

My birthday is coming up and I don't know what to do. I was going with the sleepover theme, but I don't know what to do for activities. I'm not a girly girl, but I'm not a tom-boy. Help. I want to have 6 friends over.

Answers

go and buy giftcards or gag gifts and play a game with your friends. whoever wins gets the prize. play manhunt or something when it gets dark. also its fun to do challenges like whats in my mouth and etc.
. paint your nails
.do crafts
. prank call
.dress up funny and walk around your street
.

I want to have another sleepover with my best friend, but I don't know what games to play. Also what food would you have at the party?

Does anyone have any ideas for a spa themed sleepover?

By Olivia J.

Answers

For a spa themed party idea you should picture a nail shop and get the foot massagers and set tables up like the actual salon. You can use computer desks for the nails and lay them out across the table so they could choose and at the other side of the room have all the lotions and face rub things for the facials.

I need some help on trying to find out what to do for my daughter's 14th birthday party. I am looking for ideas that's not going to overall cost an abundance of money. It's in one week. Please any ideas, I need help!

By Casey

Answers

Nail bar, chocolate fountain, talk about boys

I'm hosting a Christmas sleepover and I don't know what to do for games. Will you give me some ideas?

By Brianna. T

Answers

I'm not very good at games, but there's always that old favorite, Twister. You can get it at toys r us or on line toysrus.com.

There's always bingo.
I found this on amazon.com. I bought this years ago but never tried it yet:

Tis The Season, Christmas Trivia Game
Anton Publications, Inc.

List Price: $24.96
Price: $20.95
You Save: $4.01 (16%)
In Stock
Sold by The Ducky Depot and Fulfilled by Amazon.
Gift-wrap available.
Eligible for free Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25.
Want it delivered by Tuesday, Nov 13? Order within 29hr 44min, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout.

Hope these helped. Merry Christmas to you too! It sounds like a great idea, just having the idea of a sleepover on Christmas! What fun!

I'm having a party with some of my friends and I don't know what they like. and its on the 31 and i want it to be big i just need your help.

By Haylee

Answers

I don't understand why you don't know what kind of foods your friends like! How about pizza, chips and dip, brownies or cookies. carrots and celery with dip if someone wants something healthy. Pigs in the blanket made with cocktail wieners are good, apples, oranges or other fruits, ice cream. I hope this helps! Hope you have a good time!

My daughter is turning 7 in January. Is this too young for a sleepover? Two of the girls are a year older.

By Carla

Answers

It depends on the emotional maturity of the girls, I had one who could sleep away from home and one who couldn't make all the way through, just be prepared to call parents to pick up child. You won't know till you try it, I wouldn't have too many either. It works best if there are only 2-3 girls, others wise it gets too rowdy.

What are some fun activities for girls at a slumber party? I'm hosting a slumber party in 8 weeks and I have some games, but I'm not quite there yet. Many thanks.

By Jayde from Northland, NZ

Answers

Someday game ideas would be scavenger hunts Carter Heights fashion shows and nail shop.

My daughter's having a slumber party. I don't know what games we can play. Please help me.

By Kamila

I am looking for ideas for an 11 year old girl's party, something cheap and super. Maybe some sleepover ideas.

By al from Orlando, FL

Answers:

Sleepover Party Ideas for Girls

I did a Hawaiian spa party for my daughter. I went to Dollar Tree and got handbags and filled them with spa stuff like soaps and lotions. The girls had fun giving each pedicures and manicures. (03/30/2010)

By trisha

Sleepover Party Ideas for Girls

How about getting some inexpensive beading kits and let them make their own jewelry?
For my daughter's 10th birthday we did a sleepover party with five or six other girls who brought sleeping bags (if they had them). They had a pizza dinner. (You could let them help make their own by providing different toppings.)

For their activity, I bought some inexpensive white T-shirts and let them decorate them with fabric paints, rhinestones, sparkly strings, etc. (You need to put a piece of cardboard inside the T-shirt to provide stability and prevent the paints from seeping through.

You can buy pre-cut ones at a fabric/craft store or make your own. The girls spread out on my tile floor and went to work. They had a blast! We let them dry over night. If they aren't completely dry, just send them home with the cardboard still inside. This makes for a very fun and memorable birthday. (03/31/2010)

By Pam Griffis

Sleepover Party Ideas for Girls

We did this at my daughter's party last year. I bought some small foam photo albums at Hobby Lobby(or Michael's or any craft shop) along with foam letters, decorations, and sticker sayings (best friends, etc.). I took pictures all night of the girls (playing outside, opening presents, making pizzas, hanging out etc.) with a digital camera, downloaded them and printed them (several sheets for all girls). The girls then placed them in their albums and decorated. They had a blast! (04/03/2010)

By suzanne

I am looking for some fun party games for an 11 year old girl's birthday sleepover.

By sabina from Monroe, MI

Answers:

Sleepover Party Ideas for Girls

This is not a game, but it proved to be useful when needing activities for 11 and 12 year olds at a sleep over. I gathered bracelet elastic and beads and they made a few bracelets they designed themselves. I also took newspaper and masking tape and placed several sheets over their head, taping it at the crown. They added tissue paper, pipe cleaners, etc. for ornamentation. We had a style show after each one was finished and took lots of photos. If you have a printer you could print out photos of the show for each child or go to Dollar Tree and buy a small photo album for their pics. This was a big hit at our sleep over. Good luck. (08/17/2010)

By susan

How do I throw a good slumber party?

T'era from Riverside,CA

Answers:

Throwing a Good Slumber Party

It all depends on the ages of the girls attending the sleepover (I am assuming that it is for girls!). My 11 year old had a slumber party a few months ago and everyone had a great time!

She had a spa themed party- we picked up stuff at the dollar store for mud masks, some new fresh makeup nail polishes and hair stuff for make overs. There was plenty of music, movies, snacks (good and bad) and of course playing games (truth or dare, light as a feather). A slumber party is pretty easy to throw together for a decent price (I think our costed around $25 for everything!) and it all depends on how the girls decide to act- I laid down a few rules- no name calling, excluding anyone- basic nice manners was all I was asking for and everyone was "cool" with that. I hope you have a good time! (07/10/2007)

By Jennifer Conrath-Luntz

Throwing a Good Slumber Party

We have had plenty of slumber parties through the years. Movie themed, makeover ones and one that the girls really loved was a jewelry party. They made their own necklaces and bracelets. I went to Micheal's and got the big bag of cheap beads in all colors and some of that plastic cording. (gimp?) Make sure it fits in the holes of the beads. They also have beads with ABC's so they could spell their names. They worked on those things for hours and talked, listened to music, watched a movie at the same time. Just make sure you do this with the older kids. Not little ones. (07/16/2007)

By HaleyP

Throwing a Good Slumber Party

Here are a few things we did at DD's slumber party....

I bought a white pillow case for each girl. Before the party I used a fabric marker a decoratively wrote their name in the center of their pillow. At the party all of the girls used fabric markers to sign each other's pillow case and leave each other a message. I had to put a piece of cardboard in the pillow case so the marker would not bleed through.

~We also did the nail salon thing. I just bought a bunch of nail polishes, files, buffers, etc... and let the girls go at it.

~We watched a movie and had popcorn, cookies, cake, etc...

~I am a rebel mom and we toilet papered my neighbor's house. (he knew we were going to do it. His son and my son were friends, my son was spending the night with them and they rolled us too).

~I got the karaoke machine and the fog machine out and we made a stage in the living room and had a concert.

Have a great time!!! Slumber parties are so much fun!!!

(07/16/2007)

By Leigh Haynes

Throwing a Good Slumber Party

You don't need many plans for girls at a sleepover, all they need is some board games, some make up, nail polishes and they will entertain themselves playing truth or dare and talking about boys. All they need is a little bit of ideas and they are ready to go! (07/25/2007)

By Jessica

My daughter wants to have a sleepover party for her birthday on August 26. I don't know what I'm going to do to make her party fun. Please help.

Sarah

Answers:

Sleepover Party Ideas for Girls

Have a pizza party. Each guest gets to make her own pizza.
Have a book swap. Each girl brings 2-3 books to exchange.
Play games with balloons, all kids like them.

Good luck and have a good time. (04/09/2009)

By Wendy

Sleepover Party Ideas for Girls

It really depends on the age of the girls. Have your daughter help pick a theme.

My daughters have had movie nights where everyone brought a favorite movie and then they drew titles out of a hat to see which they watched first, (fewer hurt feelings if someones movie didn't get picked first) pizza, pop, and popcorn were the menu. Some kids brought candy.

We have had a "spa party" for 12-13 year olds and did simple manicure/pedicures. We went to Dollar Tree and got pumice stones and nail files (so everyone had their own) and they soaked and scrubbed their feet. We have an assortment of scented lotions. The girls took turns painting nails. I already had an assortment of polish. They did basic facials and played with makeup. We served fruit smoothies and sparkling water in stemmed glasses and finger food with fancy tooth picks. The girls were hilarious trying to act grown up. They even ended up playing dress up and making some "unique" outfits that had everyone in the house laughing at the impromptu fashion show.

I have 3 girls (the youngest is 12) and would say that in my experience the groups always find a way to entertain themselves, Rather than boredom, I have found there is usually at least one squabble and someone's feelings get hurt, but they recover quickly. So try to plan group activities that don't leave someone out, and don't worry if things don't go perfectly. Don't stress about planning to entertain them every minute. My girls and their "herd" always ended up wanting to push me and the rest of the family out of the family room for their party. I think I was just there to provide beverages and snacks and occasionally referee.

And being the mean mom that I am, the next morning, the family room had to be restored to the pre-party condition and everyone had to help. The guests were always willing and were better at cleaning than my daughters. But that was always a condition of the party planning. (04/09/2009)

By Janet

Sleepover Party Ideas for Girls

I've found that simple crafting projects are a great sleepover activity that also double as party favors for the guests to take home. Personalization to party gifts is always a hit. (06/10/2009)

By Rachel

My daughter's best friend will be coming over for a sleepover. She will stay the night and be here until late the next day. What should I do to keep them from feeling bored?

Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.