Social Security Survivor Benefits?

My grandfather died 4 years ago. He and my grandmother never got divorced, but they were separated for 36 years. There was no contact at all. She left him with all 8 children and got pregnant with another man 36 years ago. She does not talk to the family, but she recently filled for my grandfather's Social Security and got approved. The money is now supporting this other family that has nothing to do with ours.


Is there any way we can have it cancelled or overturned?

By Erik

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!

April 19, 20150 found this helpful

You will have to talk to your local Social Security Office about that. Actually as far as I have ever heard the only people that can collect Survivor's Benefits are the spouse, and minor children, unless there is an adult disabled child. If her kids by the new relationship have the same last name as your father, they probably would qualify, but if they have the other man's last name I don't see how they could qualify. If those kids have the other man's last name the only person receiving benefits should probably be your mother.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
April 21, 20150 found this helpful

This may seem unfair but it is most likely legal and you probably cannot stop or change it. You may be able to get accurate answers from the SSA but probably the only real information you can obtain is that it is legal as only the people "involved" can get information on the amount of money paid.


Your grandmother (spouse of your grandfather) is entitled to claim benefits under your grandfathers SS earnings and would be able to claim benefits even if he had divorced her - due to the number of years they were together (8 children).

Most likely your grandmother has reached SS retirement age and has now applied for benefits under your grandfather's SS earnings. It does not seem there would be any children involved but she is free to use this money anyway she wishes. The amount she receives would be based on the amount of earnings/quarters your grandfather accumulated over his lifetime.

As I stated - it may seem unfair but I do not believe anyone can change it.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Add your voice! Click below to answer. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!


In This Page
Business and Legal Legal General AdviceApril 19, 2015
Back to School Ideas!
Pest Control
Summer Ideas!
Coronavirus Tips
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2020-07-18 10:27:02 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2020 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.