Spider Photos

Category Wildlife
These arachnid garden helpers are very interesting and create beautiful snares for catching their food. This page contains spider photos.

The argiope spider is a common yellow garden spider that is also known as the black and yellow garden spider, corn spider, writing spider, McKinley spider, and the golden garden spider. This page contains argiope spider photos.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

What type of spider was that on the blackeyed susan, it was the very first picture at the top of the guide? I had three very large ones. I was told they were brown recluse, because of the violin pattern on the back. The only difference between your picture and the ones I saw was the color, they were lighter, more of a beige with dark brown violin on the back. They were at least 3 to 4 inches in size. Please help I can't seem to find them on the internet.

By Linda from North central PA

Answers

Everything that I have read about the brown recluse indicates that they are very small. I don't think the one on the sunflower is a recluse, but I would suggest contacting your local university for their entomology department. You can usually reach them online and I have found that everyone is so good at helping.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

I was leaving my apartment to go to the market and the sun was hitting this spider web just right to be able to notice it outside of my neighbors apartment. I just had to go back inside and fetch my camera!

It took a couple dozen shots because of the way the sun was shining and some obstacles in the way so I am really, really pleased to have been able to capture these two that turned out of Mr. or Ms. Spider waiting for dinner ;-)

By Ann

Spider and Web

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 17

The Itsy Bitsy Spider. . . No, it's a Crab. . . No it's a Spider!

What the well-dressed crab spider is wearing this season in Amy's Garden. This striking black and white pokadot ensemble can be dressed up or dressed down depending on your Holiday event. It would be perfect for that special upcoming Holiday party. Could be worn to a formal Thanksgiving dinner, informal Christmas brunch or just hanging out in the garden with friends, waiting for the food to arrive! Notice the amazing style, details and fit, just perfect for enjoying the season!

By Sharon

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

I have an illness that puts me through a lot of pain on a daily basis, so I use my gardening and pictures as therapy. I couldn't believe it when I saw this granddaddy longlegs on my favorite flowers. Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.

By Carrie Kirkus

Daddy Longlegs and Flower

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

A "fishing spider" I came across yesterday. It was quite large, it is on a 4 inch pole for size reference. Talk about nightmares!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

We were supposed to be rushing off to town for the day's errands and meetings when my husband willingly pointed out this spider hanging out in the bushes near our home and garden. He was so beautiful that I couldn't help but take time out of our busy schedule to photograph him.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

I work for a city utility company, and this spider was in a water meter can.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

I went out on my patio to look around and found this beautiful web complete with the spider who created it. I was surprised how well the web reflected in this flash photo. I love catching moments like this!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

I took this photo while trying out my new camera last spring. I wanted to see how good the images come out close up.

So I was literally only the width of the camera and maybe another inch away.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Granddaddy long leg spider on tomato plant.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 12

I found this spider wrapping up a rather large, recently captured beetle. I think it will be eating well for a while.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

This is what awaited me when I opened the curtains one morning. The screen is blurring the picture, but you can see the size of the spider (about the size of my hand) compared to our friendly magpie who was sitting about a foot from the window.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

This yellow garden spider decided to weave his web on my screen door this morning. It took him about 45 minutes to build his entire "house."

By florida gal

Wildlife: Yellow Garden Spider

I found tons of spiders on the Hennepin Bridge in Minneapolis, MN and found it amazing the way they looked when I took a photo of them :)

By Karen Wettanen

Wildlife: Spider

Wildlife: Spider

Answers:

Wildlife: Spider

I hope that for all the people who take and share photographs, that you remember some of us are not spider people. That means we range from going Ewww to having a serious reaction to them. Please keep this in mind. I personally think they are ugly, and they make me want to faint so just keep that in mind, please!

We don't all read the headings from the top of each photo and just think we are going to enjoy nice sunsets or pictures of people walking on the beach or kids laughing, then we are suddenly hit with a giant spider in our faces. Whatever possesses people to think of taking a photo of them is beyond me anyway.

One good thing came out of this however, and that is I will read the headings from now on as a warning.

(09/13/2010)

By Sandi/Poor But Proud

Wildlife: Spider

I personally find your photos absolutely beautiful. I think your photos are in good taste, and thank you for sharing them! (09/14/2010)

By Jill

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Scared the heck out of me, too! This is a Black and Yellow Garden spider, a common spider found in gardens, I've been told. I have been gardening for 25 years and never came across this amazing spider. Of course when I first spotted it I had no idea if it was poisonous, so I was indeed scared. But that didn't stop me from getting my camera!

Afterward, I browsed the internet and found out they are not poisonous (few are). They help with pest control, they lay thousands of eggs in early fall and then die! I certainly admired this specimen, but I was not looking forward to a thousand more in my garden come next Spring. I like getting down and dirty in my garden, and I just pictured me screaming out every time one might run across my hand! They never did return. It was a sight to see, though. The web was a woven masterpiece!

By Deb H. from East Brunswick, NJ

Answers:

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Gorgeous spider, love the colors! That web is so cool. But better you than me, lol, I would have been too chicken to take its picture. (04/22/2009)

By christi

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Awesome photo! I saw a similar spider last summer. Mine was yellow and black. I ran for my camera becuase I have also never seen one like this. My husband called it a 'banana spider'. (04/22/2009)

By MB Norton

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

I have never seen one of these, before, either! Fascinating, what say? (04/22/2009)

By Carol

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

I remember lots of those in the citrus groves in Florida. They are big and colorful, remind me sort of of Bette Midler. Glad to know they aren't poison, but still! (04/22/2009)

By Kim Churchman

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

We have a bunch of these in NC too; the kids love them. Some of the "locals" call them "writer spiders" because of the zig-zags in their webs. (04/22/2009)

By Beth

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

It's a wonderful garden spider. I had one in my garden. My husband and I would feed it insects and watch it spin a cocoon around them so it could be a midnight snack. It was fascinating. Its called a Argiope. Here is a link for more info on it.

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/black_and_yellow_argiope.htm (04/23/2009)

By Beth

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

Found one like this in my son's garden in Kingston, Ontario, Canada. They must be all over! Was my first time seeing one, beautiful, but looks scary! (04/23/2009)

By Dena Roberts

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

OH, yuk! I would have killed the darn thing so quick! (04/30/2009)

By Pattie McIntyre

Wildlife: Garden Spider Photo

You can get rid of all spiders naturally. Using lavender, eucalyptus, and citric natural oils will kill them immediately. If you get natural lavender soap and use 1 tbsp to 1 qt. water and spray it around your house the spiders will never enter your house. If spider problem is bad increase the soap. You can use this any where and is not harmful to children or pets (05/05/2009)

By Anna

I was in my back yard cleaning up, when I nearly bumped into this very efficient looking spider web complete with the actual spider in waiting.