Storing Bread

Most of us have a microwave oven in our kitchens. Most of us have a loaf of bread in our kitchens. Where do you keep your bread when you are not using it? Most of us just leave it on the counter. Better place - put it in your microwave oven. Make sure oven is at room temperature. Place the loaf of bread in the microwave. It is out of the way. It is easy to get to when needed. Why hadn't you thought of this before?

By John Luse from Columbus, GA

7 More Solutions

I had an a-ha moment recently when I compared the height of a 5 qt. ice cream bucket to the height of the bread pan for my automatic bread machine.

Reuse cereal plastic bags to keep bread, buns, etc. fresh. They are very durable, too good to waste!

When you are done using the bread, hold the open end and give the bread a spin. The twisted part of the bread wrapper should be closest to the bread. Fold the top over the bread and it's ready for the next use. This tip is also good when camping.

Save the plastic bags in which you bring produce home from the grocery store. They are perfect to store homemade bread...

Where do you keep your bread? I am trying to unclutter my kitchen countertops and was wondering where everyone keeps their bread. If you put it in a breadbox or cabinet, doesn't it mold real fast because of the darkness? Thanks for your help!

By Paula Scott from USA

Answers

By (Guest Post)

We keep ours in the fridge, and it lasts quite a while.

I buy 2 loafs of bread when it's on sale and put one in the freezer and one in the fridge. It doesn't mold and stays fresh longer that way, and when you're out, you always have an extra one in the freezer!

I keep mine in the microwave. Out of sight.

By brws (Guest Post)

We store our bread in a black bread box. It seems to keep quite well. We do sometimes place bread in the freezer, but I must say my husband is not a fan of that... he says it tastes to stale.

We keep ours in the fridge, and store extra in the freezer. We go through it fairly fast, but I am sure to buy the "softest" loaves on the shelf. I just give a quick pat on the top, a friend in college passed that tip to me. We have dry summers here, so it keeps it moist, and doesn't affect the sandwich.

Several have mentioned keeping bread in the fridge....I have never done that. Besides it being cold, is it soft? I have frozen extra bread and sometimes it's fine when defrosted and sometimes it seems hard and dry. We go through bread fairly quickly and I just hate running out to the store for it so often but have never known the best way to make last longer other than freezing.

We eat whole wheat bread and we keep ours in a drawer in our kitchen island. We usually go through it fairly fast, so mold is not a problem.
But, I have kept it in the fridge before, but due to not having enough space in the fridge to keep it there we moved it to the island drawer.
I have never had a loaf stored in the fridge to dry out. As long as the bag is closed tightly and doesn't have a hole anywhere it should be kept in the fridge just fine.

I keep mine in the oven with cookies, chips, & crackers. Living alone, I use the oven only to bake Pumpkin Pies at Thanksgiving and Christmas!
JoanDogs

By Becky Dalton (Guest Post)

I too have mine mold but I do buy the fresh ones. Buy yours with this secret from bread company.

Mon. Blue tie
Tues.Red
Thurs. Green
Fri. White
Sat. Yellow................Hope this is a help for buying

i spoke with a bread man. the color of the ties are not day specific for each bakery. some bakers only use one color tie. so dont depend on that.

Have used the microwave, the regular oven, the special metal bread-box drawer (metal liner & lid inside regular deep drawer). Favorites are the microwave & bread-box drawer. Don't really like bread from the freezer, sometimes it's ok. Frozen bread can be used for toasting. Takes the same amount of time with no loss of flavor or texture. I put bread in the freezer when I think it's getting too old & might go bad. You can lightly toast bread for sandwiches if you're eating them immediately.

I freeze my entire loaf of bread, taking out only the number of pieces that I need to use. Put the frozen slices in my microwave and DEFROST FOR A FEW SECONDS ONLY. Put the slightly damp bread slice on a paper towel to absorb the moiture BUT ONLY IF NEEDED. Then we have fresh bread to make our sandwhich!

THIS WORKS SO WELL THAT MY HUSBAND HAS NO IDEA THAT IT WAS (ORIGNIALLY) FROZEN and he is such a picky eater, if he did know it he probably wouldn't eat it!

I do not have to throw moldy bread out anymore, thank goodness as it was getting pretty expensive!

Good luck and try this out it does work, I promise!

I have a wooden bread box, no problems with mold and our bread always last little over a week.

I always keep bread in the freezer and have never had a problem with this, it is always fresh. It only takes a few minutes to thaw out on a board while I am getting sandwich ingredients ready, or for toast you don't have to defrost it at all.

My new hiding spot for the bread is inside my cabinet due to nosy housecats. My bread always lasts over 1 week. Sometimes if i've had it going on 10 days and its not getting moldy yet, just stale, i make my husbands favorite bread pudding with the old bread. this way it generally doesn't get wasted!! we also live next to a lake where the mallards and the geese are tame and come up to be fed the old bread.

By margaret Tx (Guest Post)

I am on a fixed income so when i buy a few loaves i put one in the frig and the other in the freezer and all i do is put a few slices in the microwave for just about 2 sec and its just as fresh as the day i bought ot

By Lynda (Guest Post)

Having a multitude of discount bread stores nearby, but little gas, I buy 6 loaves of sale bread @ $.65 ea., hot dog/hamburger buns, and a $1.00 bag of sale snacks (small various favored fried pies, choc. covered donuts, cupcakes) then get a "freebie" for
a certain total at the register.

God showed me the SECRET: I double-wrap breads in last week's clean bread wrappers, freezing them all except the one we're eating on. I freeze the rest until needed, not by the piece but by the bag, stacking tightly and neatly towards the front of my freezer.

We usually roast hot dogs over the firepit 1-2 x week, using up the buns in two uses, so I put
back into the freezer what is unused. Breads of all sorts thaw VERY quickly (and likely freeze quickly), like 1 min. per slice in the air, and only 3 seconds if heated in the microwave, snacks microwave quickly, so the issue of freezing is really one of preventing freezer burn, not in the thawing, you see.

I store what I am using that week in the kit. cabinet nearest the Microwave, over the work counter and next to the plates, since we make sandwiches often without better food. God says not to worry TOO much about our body, being grateful for whatever He provides.

Does anyone have ideas on ways to store homemade bread? I'd like to make one loaf per week for my 2 person household. Normally I keep it on the counter, covered with a towel and slice as we use it. But my partner is slightly OCD and seeing a towel-wrapped loaf of bread, on otherwise clear counters day after day, week after week, unnerves him. So, other than ziploc bags in the fridge, any ideas?

K.O. from SoCal

I've been saving the bags from inside cereal boxes. They are sort of like waxed paper.

Food and Recipes Storage Dry StorageJuly 27, 2012
🌻
🐰
👒
🐛
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Storing-Bread-1.html