Storing Homemade Bread

Does anyone have ideas on ways to store homemade bread? I'd like to make one loaf per week for my 2 person household. Normally I keep it on the counter, covered with a towel and slice as we use it. But my partner is slightly OCD and seeing a towel-wrapped loaf of bread, on otherwise clear counters day after day, week after week, unnerves him. So, other than ziploc bags in the fridge, any ideas?

K.O. from SoCal

I'd put it in a breadbox, if you've got one--it would keep it out of sight and also help keep it fresh.

Keep homemade bread refrigerated. It will become moldy because it contains no preservatives.

Tupperware makes a nice container. We are only 2 so when I bake bread I cut the loaf in half, slice it and store it in the freezer. Slices unthaw quickly.

Thanks for the feedback! I like the tupperware idea and the breadbox! I'd completely forgotten breadboxes. We had one when I was growing up and suddenly I miss it. It was the perfect place to store all kinds of baked goods. Over the years--before I became a breadbaker--I'd became accustomed to bread in plastic bags as the only way to store bread. Now you've got me hankerin' for a breadbox.

Keep it refrigerated so it doesnt get moldy. Lucky partner you have, to be able to enjoy your homemade bread!

Slice and freeze in a Ziploc or a doubled produce bag. It'll be better than refrigerated. The freezing stops the bread getting stale. A slice separated (maybe on a plate) will defrost in maybe 10 or 15 minutes or it will toast even more quickly.

Tell him to go to the bakery everyday. He doesn't know how lucky he is

What about a reused bread bag?
Or a paper bag?
Or try a thrift store for an old time bread box?
If it's really some kind of issue with your friend, perhaps he has a suggestion.

Do not refrigerate your bread. It will dry it out. Keep it in a plastic bag, in a bread box, or just in the cupboard in the plastic bag. If you do not eat it fast enough, so that it molds before you get it used up, freeze half of it. Freezing doesn't seem to spoil it the way keeping it in the frig does.

Since I am the only one who eats bread, I slice the loaf and place it in a Lock & Lock container. It keeps fresh for a week.

My mother used to hide her bread in the microwave (Obviously not while it was being used).

I store mine in my microwave because of the lack of room on my counters. I like everything to look neat, and refrigerating bread takes the taste out of it.

When you put bread in a bread box, do you put it in a bag?

I slice the whole loaf, then put two slices together and wrap securely with plastic wrap. Then I put the loaf into a plastic produce bag (saved from the grocery store) and keep it in the freezer. I take out what I need for a sandwich or breakfast toast, and it only takes a minute or so to thaw. And it keeps it fresh. Arkansas is a humid climate, and my bread would be moldy in 3 days on my counter.
Harlean from Arkansas

I keep my home made bread in a bread keeper. Mine is a WANDA BREADBOX. paid $10.00 years ago. don't think they are made anymore, but did find something almost exactly like it called PROGRESSIVE bread keeper. found one for my daughter in a kitchen store at an outlet mall ($10.00). It works on the same theory, a couple small holes on each side to allow small amount of air flow. These boxes will keep home made bread fresh and solt for almost a week. Sounds unbielievable, but they do work and are worth the money. You can see one by trying in bread keeper in google.