Storing Cheese

Category Storage
Storing Cheese
Most cooks have more cheese in the bag or block than they need for one recipe and need to store the rest for future use. This is a guide about storing cheese.

If you use cheese often, like I do, here is a decent tip! Cut straight through a block of unopened cheese, remove the portion you will use without demolishing package. Keep the wrapper from the piece you used, turn it over and cut a slice in the back side. Now, slip it over the remaining section of cheese. You now have a free wrapping technique, so no need to use up another dish or plastic bag/wrap. It works great for me, without drying out!

By Becca from NY

To keep cheese fresh, upon arriving home from the market take out the cheese and wrap first in wax paper and use tape to make it snug. Then wrap in plastic wrap. Mark each pkg with the type and date purchased. Then freeze what you don't think you'll use somewhat quickly. This maybe a pain to do but it sure beats throwing out moldy cheese and pouring money down the drain.

Also, keep your Saran Wrap in the fridge as it dramatically helps it come out smoother and is easy to "handle".

Keep cheese from going moldy by soaking a cloth in white vinegar and then wrap the cheese in the cloth. Put the cloth and cheese in an airtight container and refrigerate.

To store partial blocks of cheese, which were originally purchased in a sealed plastic package: Wrap the remaining cheese, first in old fashioned waxed paper, then in foil. The waxed paper will draw moisture away from the cheese and it will last much longer in your refrigerator. As a side note, to shred very soft cheeses, such as mozzarella, put them in the freezer for about 10-15 minutes first. This will make the cheese firm enough to grate without it melting in your hands.

mrsmutt

I stored some cut up cheese chunks in a vacuum sealed bag for a week. There were droplets of water inside the bag in a few places (minimal). Do you suggest I place a paper towel in with the cheese chunks to prevent mold from building up due to excessive humidity? How much paper?

Thanks, (...and thanks to Harlean for her help with other queries.)

Holly from Richardson, TX

I have found the best way to store cheese to prevent moisture, is to wrap it first in good old fashioned wax paper, and then in foil. If the wax paper appears soft or damp, just replace it when you put it away again.

I wrap my cheese in wax paper before I freeze it or do anything else to it...seems to be working well for me...might be worth a try for you...deb

I keep my cheese in tupper ware (tight tops) and then either place a couple of pieces of cube sugar or a cap (about catsup bottle size) packed with brown sugar. replace when soft.

I have no trouble with mold with this method.