AdviceHome Improvement

Temporarily Blocking View of Neighbor's Cluttered Back Yard

I live next door to someone who has a very cluttered backyard. I would like to entertain friends and family out back when summer comes, but the abundance of junk, that has been there for years, would instantly distract my company, and make everyone uncomfortable.

There is no possibility of nicely asking this neighbor to do something about the mess, and I want to avoid the expense of building a bigger fence (even a 12 foot fence would barely hide everything from first floor view - the yard is on the basement level). I'd sooner build a roof deck than a fence.

Is there anything I can do, maybe with lightweight fabric and clothesline, that I can put up before I entertain and store away afterwards?
All ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Plant an english laurel hedge. It grows very fast reaching 30 feet unless trimmed. Begin to trim and shape it at 3 or 4 feet. It grows about 18 inches a year. Just dont ever let it get away from you.

Thanks Lizzyanny,

This is a great idea! I hadn't thought of a natural barrier! Because our yards are very long and narrow (60' x 15'), I will research the required width allowance for these plants. I wouldn't want to lose too much of the yard to permanent vegetation. ~Cheryl

No one should have to look at this crap from neighbors. You didn't say exactly what they have in their yard but there could be something that's against city ordinance. I'd call the city about this. I wouldn't want to have to look at it where I had company or not.

Thanks BettyGross,

You're right. I already know that it is a violation. It seems as though the city's code has no meaning to them, neither does the opinion or appeals from neighbors. "Difficult" describes more than the situation, it also describes the interpersonal climate surrounding them.

What's out there? Furniture, electronics, bicycles and household items, some of the light-weight things find their way into my yard during a windy storm. They also have dogs.

A gazebo of metal and cloth covered some of the items, but the blizzard completely destroyed it. Nothing has been removed. The thing is sitting there, ripped & inverted. But that doesn't matter. Much of the stuff has been exposed for years; weathered and worn, the lot is almost useless.

If you need something quickly I would run a clothes line then drape twinkly lights along the length, then over that drape a thin, but not sheer fabric to cover all the mess and offer a bit of atmosphere