Thrifty Chef's Tools

Gold Post Medal for All Time! 523 Posts

A brand new paint scraper.I've been looking for a better carrot scraper. I was using a serrated knife. It was slow and left a mess in the sink. I saw this paint scraper at Dollar Tree and decided to try it. It is the best thing I've ever found. It is dishwasher safe. The bristles appear to be steel wire. They don't rust. Best of all, scraping carrots with this brush is a breeze. The bristles are so sharp and hard, I can scrape a carrot in half the time it use to take. I scrape them under running water and there's almost no mess, at all.

While not as efficient at scraping white russet potatoes, it still was faster than peeling. I've a feeling it would be much faster on other potatoes. I didn't have any on hand for testing.

This new, one dollar paint scraper now resides in my kitchen utensil drawer.

A washed carrot, ready for scraping.

A carrot with the skin removed.

A potato with the skin removed.

More Solutions

I love to salivate over the goodies in the cooking catalog like Williams-Sonoma, but some of the things are just plain unnecessary, or you can make them yourself. I saw two such things in the latest one, and I've been doing both things for years.

Long nail.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsDecember 14, 2013
🍂
🎃
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Thrifty-Chefs-Tools.html