Tiling Between Counter and Window

After our aged sliding glass door broke last winter, we had new windows installed (we'd been planning on it for a while). My kitchen was small and dark, so I really wanted a big, beautiful garden window. In order to get the right size garden window for the kitchen, we had them cut the window sill down to the counter top because we were going to replace the counters "someday". Unfortunately this left us with an exposed 2x4 and siding edge between the edge of the counter and window. It was really ugly!

The installers didn't have any idea how to cover the gap and after kicking myself for a week or so for not planning, I just had to come up with a solution. I purchased some white bullnose tile inexpensively at the home improvement store and installed the tile along the exposed edge. I cut the two end tiles so that the tile is centered. It isn't quite big enough to cover the siding, but it looks pretty nice and will do the trick until we save up for new counters, someday. I really do love my window! Now that I'm thinking about it, I may also install tile on my front window sill as my dog's nails have nearly destroyed it.

By Stephanie from Hillsboro, OR

I love this idea! It looks great and is unique. Love your garden window, too! I would love one in my kitchen too!

Thanks! The window adds so much light into the kitchen. The only problem is that the cats love it as much as I do :)

Anonymous

If the tile and the siding are flush with each other, you can purchase inexpensive plastic white trim from a home improvement store and install it over the ugly seam. It will give the seam a finished look.

Anonymous

Great idea!

It looks planned. Nice idea and adds more than if it had been planned that way.