Tips for Cooking Fish and Seafood

Category Seafood
Cooked Fish
When preparing sea products of all kinds, there are ways to easily reduce the smells and cook delicious dishes. This is a guide about tips for cooking fish and seafood.

To remove the stinky smell from cooking fish, add a piece of lemon/lime or few drops of lemon to water and rinse off.

By Butterfly20 from Bahrain

A fishy smell with seafood is common and can be masked before preparation. This is a guide about remove fishy smells from seafood.

Remove Fishy Smells from Seafood

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about thawing frozen fish. There are some best practices associated with thawing frozen food of all kinds.

Frozen salmon fillets.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a super easy tip for removing the fishy odor and taste from seafood.

Remove Fishy Smells from Seafood

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

When steaming or boiling fish roes, put it in food bags and seal. Put the bag in a pot of boiling water and remove after 5 to 10 minutes. Remove from bag, cool, and fry or add to chutney. The fish roes are intact when adding to the chutney.

By Dorothy from Durban, KZN

What is a good, cheap, frozen type of fish to bake? I like the fish sticks, etc. with breading, but you don't get much fish with them. In Missouri, we don't get a lot of fresh fish, except catfish and I don't care for it. It is too fishy! Thanks!

Carol from Anderson, MO

My husband and I like tilapia filets. We buy them frozen w/o breading, and I bake them in a foil packet with butter and Cajun seasoning. Also good with lemon pepper or any kind of grilling seasoning recommended for fish. They have a mild flavor and are very easy to prepare.

We purchase our (frozen) fish at our neighborhood Trader Joe's store. And compared to the fresh choices available at a local grocer... they carry a good variety at a reasonable price.

I like fish portions better than fish sticks. You get more fish and less breading.

I buy Portside brand at Save-A-Lot. That is a great price and very similar to the expensive brand names.

In our part of the country we can buy whiting fish IQF (frozen). I bake it, or fry it. It is usually the least expensive non coated fish and we are happy with the taste.

I love fish and don't like the "fishy" flavor of some fish either. Like the first poster said Tilapia is great and usually quite inexpensive. It can be pan fried with or without breading, baked and tastes great barbequed. I also love cod and flounder fillets which are usually cheap at Wal-mart and can also be made the same ways. Cod is what they use at Long John Silver's because it isn't "fishy". It is also a cold deepwater fish so it is considered one of the healthy fish like salmon which is usually more costly.

I did want to point out that catfish is one of my favorites but you MUST remove the dark centerline of ANY fish BEFORE cooking to ensure the least fishy flavor. Just cut a shallow line to make a 'V' under the centerline and lift it out. Also if you cut off the stomach area the fish will be more mild flavored. Most restaurants don't cut these off and that is why sometimes the fish tastes way too "fishy". The stores also sell catfish nuggets which are mostly made up of the stomach areas darker oilier meat.

I agree with the other posters about Talapia. There are some awesome fish marinades out there. You can also slather both sides with mustard...yes, mustard and a little Thyme like I saw Paula Dean do with Catfish and let it sit overnight. She battered hers and deep fried it. I love Cod just cooked in butter and lemon pepper seasoning. You can also get Tuna Kabobs. Those are usually about 1" thick, and the standard cooking theory is 350 degrees for 7 minutes, or until white. They come frozen, so I would let them thaw first. I also love Suremi, or imitation crab. You can use it in salads, and it's really good in some pasta side dishes where I add some brocolli, red peppers and corn. Happy Fishing!!

Yes! Tilapia! My husband has never liked fish, but I recently started buying frozen tilapia filets. I either wrap them in foil & bake them with Chef Prudhomme's Salmon seasoning or I use olive oil & Chef Prudhommes salmon seasoning in the frying pan. Hubby actually looks forward to a fish night once a week now.

Tilapia is great, also if you have a Costco, the Talapia Loins or Mahi-Mahi is very good. I live on the coast, and still buy it frozen. Look for a Baja Taco recipe in Cooking Light, or myrecipes.com for a great fish taco or four!

Thanks, everyone! I'm already drooling! Carol

Cod and Tilapia are both available at WalMart stores here in SW Mo. I buy them regularly and bake with garlic and lemon!

I have been eating catfish for almost 70 years and I'll tell you the mistakes some people makes that ruins any fish.in the first place there is a line of blood through any fish and it must be cut out.second-I hesitate to use the stomach of a fish other than a Bass or Red Eye or Blue Gill. next I ALWAYS soak my fish in salt water [make it real strong with salt ] and let it sit for a good 25 to 30 minutes then RINSE and DRY.you can use the cornmeal breading if it's a little damp but not wet.have your shortening HOT before putting in the fish and you will have a beautiful fillet of fish.another thing is--don't cut your fillets too thick,maybe a HALF inch in thickness and cook until they're a light brown. I was raised in Arkansas and ate fish at least twice a week,I love it if it's cooked right.there will be NO fish smell or taste if prepared this way.

Don't know if this is for all but the last BIG box of froz. Talapia I got, I didn't see that in fine print it was grown in a pond in another country, NOT caught at sea, as I thought and hoped.

It tasted MUDDY, and I thought it was likely raised with bottom-feeding Catfish which ALWAYS taste MUDDY. Someone said to soak them in salty water over night in fridge, but I don't care for MUD !! and decided to go with WHITEFISH anytime I could find it. It's a HUGE fish, and tastes the best of all

grilled or steamed. I try not to fry anything for our health, yet, sometimes I receive charity foods which are all fried things and trust the Lord to keep it from harming my arteries. That's my take on fish, folks.

This is a really good fried fish that I make all the time: Take your tilapia filets and dry them off really good with paper towels. Dip in plain flour, then in one beaten egg, then dip in bread crumbs. I use the plain bread crumbs but you can use flavored if you wish. I also add quite a bit of Zattarans's blackening seasoning to the bread crumbs. Put a couple of tablespoos of olive oil in skillet and get it really hot. Place the breaded tilapia in the skillet for just a few minutes on each side and it is delicious!! Serve with a salad or potatoe and veggie or applesauce and you are in heaven. Tilapia is a really inexpensive fish and it tastes good. I also use white fish and cook it the same way as above.

I like trying unusual foods. With this in mind, friends recently gave me a collection of dried seafood (sea cucumber, clams or pips, and dried oysters) from a Chinese store. I don't know what to do with them. Apparently I soak them, but then what? If anyone has used these items before to make a meal, please let me know what you did. Tried and tested only please.

Cathy