Tomato Plants Not Blooming

My tomato plants have grown huge, but have not produced flowers for fruit. The same goes for my pepper plants. What could be wrong?

By Bobbie Borders from Springfield, OH

Answers

Your soil could be the issue. All blooming vegie plants need a boost and regular household Epsom salts is what to run and get. Google it, go to their site, many online planting sites will give you info. Even on the packaging it tells you how to use it.

Helps with bottom end rot as well. Magnesium Sulfate is needed in the soil as a boost. Do you get your soil evaluated/tested so you know what is in it or do you buy planting soil at the nursery/farm store, etc. I have my own mix and have found that Epsom salts also helps control bugs in my gardens too. Don't let it set on the plant, sprinkle around the base and water. My roma plants had 100 tomatoes to a plant last year. Could not believe it! Did the Epsom salts about every 2 weeks.

My tomato plants (Big Boy) have not produced flowers...Why?

The Weather is not great for the plant or height temp

My tomato plants got very few blooms this year and no tomatoes.

Anonymous

My tomato and pepper plants are not producing flowers either it is worrying me someone please help.

Anonymous

I am having the same issue. I cant figure it out.

I have 8 tomato plants-they are all thriving except for one. My heirloom is about 6-7 feet tall-they have all given me lots of maters except the heirloom plant.

I have had a few blossoms but no fruit. Comments?

Answer this Question

8 More Questions

This is the first time to start seeds indoors. Everything seemed to be going fine. I started 3 types of peppers on about 2/17. I discovered they are very slow, but seem to be on time for 5/15 outdoor planting if the weather holds up. I also started tomatoes. These are the Campari variety that I get from Kroger/Meijer's etc. I was told and I watched a video on planting from a cutting of a tomato. I put starter seed in a Jiffy Pot, cut a 1/4" slice of the tomato in the pot and then covered it with starter soil. The seeds sprouted to the point that I had to thin them. They have grown well and I have thinned them down to 4 plants total. I had to transfer them to larger Jiffy Pots, two to a pot. My question/issue is that they were about 12" high on 4/9, today they are 20" tall and spindly. There are no flowers and not all that many branches, but I know that doesn't matter for planting. Color is very light green, but not translucent, yet.

Any help would be appreciated in this matter. I do great outdoors when I buy and plant.

Thank you.

Answers

First off tomatoes need a lot of sun in order to grow correctly and start to flower. Normally it takes around 3 months for the plant to grow up in order to flower. Your plants look a bit small to start to flower so soon. Give them time and get them in bigger pots if you want them to flower and give you food.

I bought a patio tomato plant for a large container on my porch. It had 1 small tomato on it when I got it, but has never had any other blossoms nor has it gotten much bigger. Otherwise the plant is healthy, no bugs, and I am not overfeeding it. I have grown tomatoes for years and never had this problem. Help!

Answers

Are you using the same soil as previous years? that could be the problem

Make sure no suckers are growing between the branches. Fertilize regularly. You can also shake the plant very gently.

Did you transplant it to a larger container? Most plants should only be re-potted to a one size larger container as they do not usually do well if placed in a much larger pot. I have found that patio tomatoes are more "touchy" than other tomato plants and do not like being moved around very much.

If you have only had your tomato plant for a short while it may just be taking its time to acclimate to the new soil, sun, temperature, humidity, and care.
Hopefully, it will "come out" soon and give you an abundance of pretty little blossoms.

Anonymous

I grew brandywine and yellow zebra tomato plants from seed and the plants are now in my new 8 1/2 ' by 4' garden box. There are no flowers on them. I bought a cherry tomato plant and there were flowers on it and they are gone as are flowers on a red pepper plant I bought. I know I have raccoons and squirrels. Do I put cayenne pepper by the plants? I tried toilet paper rolls on a small plant and something destroyed one. Thank you, julie

Anonymous

Thanks. I bought new garden soil. It's my first garden in this box.

Answer this Question

I started a project at work growing Roma tomatoes from seeds. I transferred them into buckets (sand buckets like for the beach) they are now really tall, but not flowering.

They face south so they have direct sun for 7 hours a day. I planted the seeds in April. Am I doing something wrong?

Answers

I think you need to move them outdoors. Make sure you fertilize them weekly.

It is best to grow tomatoes outside. They will flower and attract bees. Inside your home you have no way to pollinate the flowers except by hand.

Answer this Question

I have tomatoes on my 6 plants. I have picked about 12 and they taste great. I have lots of tomatoes on the plants, but I noticed there are no flowers on the plants now.

Answers

One thing to do is make sure they're getting enough water. When they are dry, they stop producing. As well, you may try to feed them with either plant food or crushed eggshells to provide much-needed calcium.

And make sure to rotate your soil every year. If you plant tomatoes in the same place every year, the nutrients are depleted and tomato-specific pests camp out there.

Make sure you have no suckers between the branches. The plant will concentrate on them instead of making fruit.

It's the offshoots that form between the branches. Really, any later growth that you remove to strengthen the earlier branches.

Answer this Question

My tomato plants are not blooming. The stems turn yellow and they fall off. Any ideas?

Answers

You may be overwatering them.

Answer this Question

When I planted my tomatoes it had blooms. There are 1 or 2 big green tomatoes on the plants. They stopped blooming and where the bloom should be, they've turned a blackish color. The tomatoes that are on the plants look great and are growing everyday, just no new blooms. Any information would help, what is the cause, how can I cure it?

By Kerry Jo

Answers

Check the packet label. You may have purchased and planted a tomato that flowers once and then puts all of its energy into developing those flowers that have become fruits.

Answer this Question

I am a new gardener to planting in pots on our deck. We have 28 tomato plants and all except four have blooms.

What makes tomatoes not have any blossoms on them?

Home and Garden Gardening Growing Growing FoodJanuary 25, 2013
📓
😷
🐛
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Tomato-Plants-Not-Blooming.html