Treating a 4 Week Old Kitten's Matted Eyes

One of my kitten's eyes are matted shut. I use a warm compress and get them open. I had used a Q-tip with just a touch of Vaseline and put around the eye so it wouldn't get sore, but it does mat again after a few hours when he sleeps. Is there anything I can do for him? I figure he's gotten a little cold in it. He is not sneezing.

By shirley from clayton, in

Kittens often get an infection in their eyes and unfortunately you need medicine to clear it up. It is also very contagious to the other kittens. If you have a relationship with a vet, they will often give you the meds without an office visit since it is so very common.