Treating a Kitten's Eye Discharge

My kitten is about 10-12 weeks old. Three days ago I noticed its right eye looked a little irritated. Today it's red, swollen, and has this gummy discharge. I have been applying a warm compress twice a day. What can I do? Honestly I can't afford a vet right now.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Go to your local ASPCA or Humane Society. You dont want the cat to lose its vision.

You can buy drops over the counter with antibiotic cream in it, it comes in drops or cream. You can also use a teaspoon of salt to 1 cup warm water. Using a clean cloth, bathe the eyes every hour.

Please consider surrendering this little guy to a no kill rescue in your area. They can have him treated and find him a home. It just is not realistic to keep a pet without any way to pay for its care. Many human drugs and over the counter drugs can work well for humans, and have very bad reactions in cats and dogs.

A small amount of tylenol in a cat can cause liver failure. Eye infections in cats can become very serious very fast. Please consider taking this kitten to a shelter.