Treating a Kitten with Watery or Gooey Eyes

I have four kittens approaching nine weeks of age. One has watery eyes almost constantly, one has a redness on her eyelids and they stick shut if she's slept for a while, usually her eyes are crusty rather than gooey, but the goo happens.

My smallest one has gooey eyes that don't always stay stuck. He sneezes a little, his nose sounds clogged sometimes as well, and he can be very lethargic or very nimble and playful. There is no swelling of any kind, none of them rub their eyes in any way, and they don't seem at all like they can't see. The fourth kitten is absolutely fine, as though whatever my other little ones have isn't being spread.

They're seemly very healthy, they eat well, and they play around all the time. They don't seem particularly sick, but their eyes aren't clearing up. I'm horrified at the thought of them being really sick and I can't pinpoint my babies' symptoms online individually with any real accuracy. I'd really like some help. Thanks.

Best Answer

For now, but warm compresses on the eye. You will need to contact the vet. If this is an eye infection, it could cause blindness quickly

Best Answer

Kittens the same age as yours often get viral upper respiratory infections. Some of these viral infections are helped by common kitten vaccinations. It sounds like your kittens may not have had vaccinations yet. Most of these viruses will go away and that will be the end of it. But for some kittens, the virus is followed by a bacterial infection, commonly in the eyes.

Your kittens need to see a Vet and their eyes need to be treated. It is likely they have become infected with bacteria. You cannot wait and see who gets better and who doesn't. If you do, your chances of having a kitten with damaged vision (and costly Vet bills) will go up by the day. Make sure they get their vaccinations so you dont have to do this twice.

I would take all four to the vet, it seems that all have an eye problem and sounds like an infection from one to the other
I am sure the vet will recommend some kind of ointment to rub on each of their eyes before it gets any worse.