ElectricityConservation

Turn Off Fans to Save on Electricity

An energy tip. If you use fans, turn them off when you leave the room. Fans cool people, not air. This mistake I've been making all along is now corrected.

Wrong - fans also circulate the air so the entire room is the same temp. I tried your "tip" and when everyone else was comfortable I was sweating. I brought a small thermometer to where I was working and found out the temp was 6 degrees higher where I was. Turned on the fan and in less than 20 min the temp was the same as the rest of the room because the fan had circulated the air and redistributed it evenly.

Anonymous

I leave my fans on all summer. It is very humid here in maryland. The m going fans help dry it out a bit.

I disagree. We have no air conditioner but have ceiling fans in most rooms on all levels. The fans circulate the hot air, colder air and the outside fresh air to make the whole house more comfortable.