Use Drawer and Shelf Liner to Open Jars

Category Reusing
Non slip liners for shelves and drawers can be used to help open tough lids on jars. It's a great way to repurpose the last of the roll.

I was trying to open a bottle of Naked Mighty Mango smoothie the other day and could not get a decent grip on the lid to twist it off. I tried a dish towel with no success. Then I had my minor epiphany and thought of the piece of "rubber" shelf liner that I use under the cats' bed to keep it from slipping when they jump up.

I tried it and it worked really well. So if you have a bit of this material lying about, it can fill in for your jar lid opener when you can't find it or substitute for buying a special tool for the job. Silicone hot pads also work.

Top Comment

I have limited use of my left hand due to having suffered two strokes. I use this liner when I am baking. I put a square under the bowl when using the hand mixer. It does not turn or slide away. This is also true when dealing with children they often do not have the dexterity or strength to keep the bowl still.

I found another use for my roll of no-skid drawer liners. I cut them into various shapes and they are great for opening lids that won't budge! I can always use help opening lids, since the factories often put them on way too tight.

Here are some of them which I now have in the kitchen, my bedroom, and my purse. I'm giving the rest to friends and neighbors ;)