Uses for an Old Sewing Machine Cabinet

Category Reusing
Ornate cast iron or decorative wood sewing machine cabinets can be repurposed and find a new place in your home. This is a guide about uses for an old sewing machine cabinet.

I have an old Singer cabinet style sewing machine and I would like some ideas of how to utilize it other than using it as an end table with a cloth covering it. I would appreciate any clever ideas you may have. Thanks!

Answers

I put mine in front of my big diningroom window which faces north-west. I put my flowering plants (violets) on it and it looks great. I made some quilted place mats (small) to put under each pot incase of stray water. I hope this helps you.

By Cheryl from Missouri (Guest Post)

You can make a make-up vanity out of it. Here's how:

Remove the sewing machine from the cabinet.

The lid usually opens to the side. Relocate the hinges so the lid opens from the front and stands up. Mount a square mirror tile with glue.

Line any drawers with a complimentary color of velvet or silk. Fill drawers with perfume and makeup bottles.

By Firefly1985 (Guest Post)

If it has little drawers, you could use it as a bill paying station and store your stamps etc or maybe a scrapbooking area.

By Kim from Virginia (Guest Post)

Thanks for the great ideas. I can't wait to get started!!