FloorsCleaning

Using Bread to Pick Up Broken Glass

I recently dropped a dainty black light bulb on the kitchen floor. There were tiny bits everywhere! I swept up what I could see, but I was scared there were minuscule shards everywhere, especially between the floor tiles. To get rid of every last piece, along with other weird rubbish I didn't even see on the floor, I carefully pressed a slice of bread over the glass. The sponginess and little nooks sucked up all of the debris.

Great idea!!! Thanks bunches!

You're welcome Cupcakelanieeeee!!!!!!!!!!

I just did the same thing a few days ago, I dropped a delicate thin glass bowl, and what a mess, and I was worried about those super thin slivers of glass that could still remain in the rough grout. So I put on gloves and used a ton of wet paper towels, but when the sun light shined on the floor, I could still see a few glistening shards were still here and there.

I love this way to go with the bread to absorb up those minuscule pieces.

Thank you Attosa! :)

It's really the only way I was able to get the tiny baby ones up, especially out of the crevices between the tiles. I can't tell you how many times before I thought I'd gotten everything out, and I had not, and ended up in so much pain!

Good luck with the next round, Suz! I sure hope you're not as clumsy as me!

I am sorry if I offend anyone but I think this is one of the most irresponsible ideas I have ever seen. When I break glass I sweep it up and then vacuum it. I also recycle broken glass in the glass recycling.We have wild birds outside who love bread. They would not think twice about eating bread out of the garbage. this glass no matter how small the pieces are will damage or kill any critter who eats it, or even a homeless person who gets into the garbage. Besides it is a big waste of bread.

I'm sure you don't offend anyone with your opinion, just as I hope I don't offend you with mine, but this is what's only worked for me in not finding some piece of glass I step on later that could not get mopped or swept up. Far too many times have I had shards in my foot from between the tiles after the fact. Now? No more. What comes first? My family and my own health and safety. To each their own! :)

Use what works best is a good motto but try to not be irresponsible toward any living thing.

Food scrapes usually go into a large landfill and bread usually "deteriorates" at an amazing speed so it would seem this would not be a problem for small birds.

Anyone who has ever passed a landfill will usually have seen large crows gathering food and I believe a crow's stomach must be partly iron as they seem to devour any and everything humans leave behind.

I will remember this if ever needed as my "reach" is beyond trying to remove anything from the bottom of my feet and a tiny sliver can really hurt and is usually very difficult to remove.

That "reach" is exactly it, Betty. My husband is disabled from spinal/nerve damage and this one goes out to him, too. I hope this can help you in the future. :)

What a good idea it is to use it for broken glass. Never thought of that.

I did it once to help locate my hard contact lens that I'd dropped on the floor. I wet the bread a bit first though. And I did quickly find it stuck to the bread and I was happy. Damn lens would have cost me $150 to replace.

Excellent idea for your lens! They are incredibly expensive, aren't they? Well done!