Using Previously Opened Hair Color

Can I re-use my Splat hair color that's been opened for a couple months now?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Only if you opened the colour and the developer and didn't mix them together. If you mixed the two together then it loses its effectiveness. In some cases, those bottles may explode after a bit if you let it sit (mixed).

The reason the boxes hair colors tell you to throw them out if you don't use them all is because they lose effectiveness after about half an hour. 1st it opens the cuticle & then it deposits the color. The peroxide loses it's effectiveness once exposed to oxygen. It won't damage your hair to use it, but it won't really work either.

It will explode only if you leave the cap tight. You must loosen cap so it won't explode

You can use it if you did not mix it with the developer. If you did, throw it out. If not, the shelf life is about a year.

Safe to use - probably - but what about results? I think a lot would depend on how it was stored. Did you leave it in the original bottle and close it securely? I feel sure it is safe to use but it may not have the same potency as when new.

Here is a link to some very good tips if you plan to continue dying your hair.
http://www.spla … or.com/tips.html

Splat colors are semi-permanent dyes that do not require any developer so yes, you can use the dye. However, if the bottle was left open (with the applicator tip) the dye may become slightly drier over time and not apply evenly, leaving you with uneven color. I've used old splat up to a year after it was opened and it works okay but does require a bit more volume of dye to completely cover my hair and often takes a bit longer time to process fully.

The most time to leave hair opened hair dye is 2 months

I use henna, it comes in a powder and I mix it with apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, water and a little wintergreen so it doesn't smell so earthy. What I don't use, I freeze for the next use. There are no toxic industrial chemicals that cause cancer that the MSDS on the chemicals advise that skin and respiratory protection is needed to handle are put on my head.

The box and salon color destroys your hair, henna deep conditions mine. Make the switch to henna and avoid worrying about the toxicity of left over box color.