AdviceFood Tips

Using Wilting Leftover Salad Fixings

I have a bag of leftover salad which includes the usual salad fixings (tomatoes, croutons, different types of lettuce, onions, etc). It is starting to wilt, any ideas of what I can do with it. I don't want to throw it away.

Thanks!

You can blend it, season it, and use it as a salad dressing, or marinade.

This drives me crazy when it happens! I stopped buying the mixes with everything in them because they went bad so fast and now I just buy everything separate (saves money in the long run).

For your short term, if you can't eat it today, then your options are limited as the lettuce will get soggy and slimy and the croutons will get mushy.

You could pick out what is good and repurpose into a quick butter or olive saute in a no stick pan. You can even use the greens IF THEY AREN'T SLIMY. Hubby does it with fresh greens, tomatoes, onions etc. all the time. Add a little garlic and basil to taste and toss with pasta (YUM).

In a mother nature based solution....my friend feeds feral cats and she gives salads like these to them; another tosses them at the edge of the woods to feed the deer. In both cases, I am not sure if the neighbors are happy about this...but in both cases, they are meals for someone in need!

Eat what ever you can as soon as possible . Then if you have a "friendly" place to put it outside for wild animals and birds to eat.

you can add it to a soup.

You can throw most of those veggies into a pot and turn it into vegetable soup. Lettuce doesn't really add taste but it bulks up the soup. I usually pick the olives out first but all of the other things will cook just fine. And the croutons will disappear and may add texture to the soup.