Using Your Computer as a Dictionary

Thanks to a comment on my 10-10-2017 posting, "Increase your Vocabulary" I now have a quicker and easier way to look up the definition of a word when I'm reading the news or other articles on the internet. Just a few days ago, I saw the 10-16-2017 comment and I responded to it with my gratitude.

I know if you did not see it, you have missed it, therefore I wanted to share the how to tip just in case there are some other computer dummies out there like me. I have found it to be very helpful.

For an example, I'm using the word permafrost. I was reading an article in the news and I did not know what permafrost meant. That's not a word that I would be using in my everyday language, however to understand the article, I needed to know what permafrost is.

Source: Thriftyfun friend, Lee Anne Collins

1. To get the definition of a word, go to the top of the screen to the search block beside the web address block.
  2. Copy and paste or type the word in that block then click on the arrow or hit enter on your key pad. It will take you to the dictionary. Now if it is a simple word, such as cat, you will need to type define before the word to get the dictionary. If you type cat, you will get lots of stuff, but not the dictionary. If you type "define cat", you will get the dictionary. So to be sure and possibly save a little time, you can type define before the word you are looking up.
  3. The dictionary gives you the word, pronunciation, and the meaning.
  4. To go back to your article, click on the arrow at the left top of the screen.
  5. You are back where you started and you can continue reading and have a better understanding of what you have read.

The whole process takes only a few seconds.

This was on my old computer which was windows 7. Now I have windows 10 and this is my first day using it. It does not have the convenient search feature beside the web address described in this posting.

So far, I don't like windows 10 because it is so different from what I'm used to. I sure hope it gets better.

Maybe you can get a plugin for searching the dictionary. Here is one I found.

www.microsoft.com/.../9wzdncrfj0s7?activetab=pivot:overviewtab

I always hate it when I have to upgrade and learn a new system. I use a Mac though and Macs don't change as much as Windows generally.

Littergitter,

Did your W-10 come with Cortana?

I changed computer also from my W-7 which was like part of me after so many years, and then went to W-10, and I love it, especially "Cortana" as you just have to speak and it will pull

up anything you ask.

Thank you. I just saw down at the bottom of the screen, there is a "type here to search" block I can do a search on and it works about the same way as the windows 7.

It's just going to take a lot of time for me to adjust, but I'm getting there. I will have to set me a timer when I'm on the computer. I almost missed my hair appointment this morning. Time flies when I get on the computer.

Those days I didn't have it, I really missed it but I found out that I could get a lot more done by not having the computer. It's addicting.

I don't know. I'll have to ask my computer guy. Thank you for the suggestion.

Is there a book "Windows 10 for dummies"?

Computers TipsJanuary 24, 2019
🌻
🎃
🎂