Value of a Vintage Desk and Chair

I bought this desk and chair, with inlay wood, 18 years ago at a estate sale. It seems that it is from Stern Brothers in New York. Any thoughts on what might be a fair price to sell for?

I saw a much smaller table for $295 asking price. I would start at $350 and see who responds.

Thank you. This is helpful.

It is a lovely piece I would start at $350 - if you take the trouble to appraise it further and find out its true value you could list for as much as $800

Thank for the idea of having it appraised. I had not thought about it. I will look around to see if I can find a reasonable appraiser.

Please hold off on setting a selling price until you have an expert look at it and give you a value. I say this because this is a really unusual piece and I think the values you are being quoted here far undersell the piece (in my opinion).

I think it is a vanity not a desk (although it could be used for either).

I also think that in the right setting, if this in as nice a shape as it appears, it could fetch into the thousands (I am saying this based on Pittsburgh values). If you are in a big city, like NY, Chicago, LA etc. you may do even better. Flip side, is if you are in Podunk USA you may not get much for it...so I suggest that talking to the expert, he/she can tell you how to proceed. Selling things like this is complex and is supply and demand as much as anything. Low demand, low value. High demand, low supply, high value.

I also suggest NOT trying to sell it yourself, especially if the value is into the thousands, as no one wants to pay a regular person off the street big bucks for furniture, but they are good paying a store or auction house the money. You are best off having a shop or an auction house sell it for you and you will get a percentage.

Be sure to understand the contract before agreeing also so you can be assured of the least you will get (especially if doing this as an an auction--meaning you may want to ask for a reserve being placed on it so they don't do one of those start it at $5 and it is a rainy, bad day and some lucky person gets a thousand dollar piece for $5 (it happens sadly because people don't read their contracts.

Please post back what you learn from an expert!!

I am excited to hear what you learn!!