Vintage FurnitureFurniture

Value of a Vintage Sideboard

Was wondering how much, possibly where it was made and is it worth restoring the glass on doors. I think it is from the 1930-40s it was given to my parents when I was a child from an older man who is passed away now.

Please.

Look on the hack, underneath and in the drawers for identifying markings. It will be much easier to get the age and the value if you know this.

Thankyou will do when I get home and take pictures

This is a really pretty craftsman style piece. I am not sure the stained glass is original...for some reason it looks too new for the piece, but I could be wrong.

Can you tell if the drawers are dovetailed or nailed/screwed together?

That will help date the piece.

How long and tall is it?

Is some of the stained glass on the left broken?

Is the mirror in nice shape or does it need re-silvered?

Are you in the US and if so, what state, or if you are not in the US where are you located (country/city).

Values are regional and dependent on having a lot more info (see above).

If you have an antique dealer in your town,you could do one stop shipping and have them ID, value, and see if they will sell it for you. You will get a percentage of sale, but often that is the best way to sell something like this that is so large.

Post back with more info and I can see if I can give you any other guidance. Thanks!

Perhaps you can have an antique dealer appraise it for you, or take a stroll through an antique mall and see if anything looks similar.

I have a vintage buffet that I think is Federal style. I believe one of my uncles bought it for my grandparents in the late 40s/early 50s.

I told a friend of mine who used to own an antique shop that I wanted to chalk paint it, and she said I shouldn't or I'd ruin the "antique" value.

(IMO, it's not an antique--just old, and they were factory-made by the hundreds.)

Okay, I said, how much is it worth? $150 she said.

Sorry, but it's not worth $150 to me to keep a piece I don't like in the off chance that my great-grandchildren will think it's an antique, so I chalk-painted it Paris Grey. My son got me the granite top, which means I can put wet or hot things on it if necessary without worrying about ruining the finish. I painted over the drawer pulls.

Consumer Advice Collectibles Furniture Vintage FurnitureSeptember 6, 2019
📓
🌻
🎂