Value of an Antique Fainting Couch

I inherited a fainting couch. My parents reupholstered it 30 years ago. They replaced the straw padding with foam and replaced the tattered cloth. The only identifying mark is a stamp that reads "P.U.L." I suspect it was made in north Georgia or a surrounding state. I do not know when or exactly where. Can anyone help me?

I would contact the Antique Roadshow at PBS.org and upload these pictures.

These are still neat pieces but will only be of interest to someone that has extra room for a generally seldom used piece of furniture. That usually means it may be of value but may take a very long time to sell.

• Of course, the upholstery material will also be one of the problems with selling as not very many people are looking for the same colors so this color may or may not match/go with anything in their home.
  • The design is unique and that will be an attractive feature and may help sell your piece.
  • The only real way that amateurs can help with finding a value is with research on "sold" items as asking prices are just what the seller believe the item is worth.
  • Ad

• Since it would be impossible to find an exact sofa like yours it is a handicap to finding value.
  • A piece like this would be very difficult to ship (and very costly) so many times the area you live in would also be deciding factor as to the current value. A large metropolis may be more successful with finding a buyer than a smaller community.
  • You may be able to ask your question at several of the online free appraisal sites and gather more information on the past and also value.
  • I say several as you may obtain more information from one site than from another.
  • If you decide to take this step I would suggest adding a few more pictures as well as measurements. The information you provided should be enough provenance for an appraiser.
  • www.whatsellsbest.com/.../antiques.html
  • If you decide to list it for sale, I would suggest using a local site like Craigslist or USA4Sale even if you decide to try eBay.
  • Ad

• Always start at a higher price and lower it if no one shows an interest.
  • Lovely piece so I hope it is of high value.

I love pieces like this.

If you think it is from Georgia, contact a big antique dealer in the state like:

Broad Street Antique Mall
3550 Broad St.
770-458-6316

And show them the photos and see what they think. I am a northern gal, and that mark is one I have never seen, so perhaps it is regional (or it could even be the person who owned it's initials), You never know what wonky things people do to their furniture.

It is hard to give a value without more info and seeing it in person. It is also hard when it does not have all of the original components. Some things changes like that can devalue.

Post back what you learn!! So curious!!!