This is an amazing cake. I just made it today after many months of not making it. It is incredibly moist, and unbelievable that it is low fat. You got to make it to believe it! The original recipe uses a sugar-based icing. I use a date-based icing. Make icing first because it needs to cool in the fridge for a few hours.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
Yield: 22 pieces
- 2 cups dates, pitted
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, etc.)
- 1.5 cup aquafab*
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups zucchini shredded - (other squash too, and even carrots in a pinch)
- 3 cups whole wheat flour (though I have used white too)
- 1.5 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
*The liquid from beans - save the beans for another recipe. I've used black beans, lentils, kidney beans, chickpeas)
- Place pitted dates in a blender.
- Pour boiling water over dates and let them sit for 10 - 15 minutes or until dates are very soft.
- Blend water and dates on high until very, very smooth. Add cocoa, salt, and vanilla, blending until well-mixed.
- Chill for about 3 hours before spreading on cake.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C). Lightly spray two 9" round cake pans.
- Whisk together non-dairy milk, aquafaba, brown sugar and vanilla.
- Shred zucchini in a food processor or with a grater.
- Pour evenly into the two cake pans.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before adding icing.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!