ChineseInternational

Veggie Egg Rolls

I love making egg rolls at home because I can be quite picky about what's put in the middles when I order them at restaurants. Plus it costs so much less! Try these crispy rolls as an appetizer, or as a main dish. I love using soy, vinegar and chili paste as a dipping sauce. Yum!

Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 40 minutes

Yield: 10 egg rolls

1. Chop onion into thin slices and diagonally chop the green onions.
  2. Heat 3 tablespoons of cooking oil in a large wok or large nonstick pan over high heat. Fry the slaw, then add the onions, then mushrooms.
  3. When they're a bit wilted, add the bean sprouts and green onions. Fry a couple minutes and add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
  4. Open the pack of egg roll wrappers and peel them apart very slowly for use. Have a small bowl of water nearby.
  5. Keep the remaining stack in a clean kitchen towel so they do not dry out. Keep any unused wrappers from recipe in the fridge or freezer, wrapped tightly.
  6. Lay out a wrapper diagonally in front of you on a work surface. Place a pile of the cooked veggies near the bottom corner of the wrapper.
  7. Roll the wrapper over and up tightly, not allowing much air between the veggies. Go halfway up.
  8. Fold both sides in over the rolled veggies.
  9. Continue rolling upwards, then add a dab of water to the top corner with your finger to seal the roll shut.
  10. Continue doing the same with the rest.
  11. Heat up 1/2 an inch of oil then reduce heat to medium low. If the oil is too hot, the wrapper will break. Add rolls to oil in batches as not to overcrowd the pan. Cook until golden all over, then drain on paper towels. Slice in half diagonally if desired, and serve with your favourite sauces.

Yummy, your egg rolls sure do look delicious. I really like the way you cut them diagonally also, very pretty.
And your dipping sauce, I'll sure have to try that.
Thank you Attosa for another yummy recipe! :)

Oh yes, do try this dipping sauce! It's so easy to make and it does not detract from the flavours of the egg rolls (like I think sweet and sour sauce does-- but to each their own)!!! :)

WOW!! Yum!! Can't wait to have hubby try them!! The slaw will make it so much easier! You have my vote!

Oh please do! Yes, using the slaw is such a great thing. It's great for texture... and saving money! :)