Clothing WashersAppliances

Washer Stopped Running and Won't Start

I was washing and the washer just stopped before its final spin it made a click noise and now it doesn't turn on. Did I burn out the motor? Can I fix it myself?

By Itzel

It is not likely that you burned out the motor. I would call a repairman. When I had problems, the repairman had them fixed in a less than half an hour, for a reasonable cost. You pay them for their expertise and the convenience of having the machine working again in no time.My problem was a small part that needed to be replaced. The repairman had specialized tools that enabled him to fix it in moments. For a home handyman it would have taken hours, if not days.

Some washing machines have a safety switch that will turn the machine off automatically if it's too unbalanced or something else is wrong - usually during spin cycle. You can reset it.

Feel along the front, bottom edge, of your washing machine for a small open slot with a button you can press with your finger. That will be the reset button. Press it, then try your machine again (make sure the lid is closed).

If you can't find it that way, look in your manual to see if it tells you where to find the reset, or google your machine brand and model number plus reset button, or call the manufacturer and ask them where to locate the reset button.