Mixed Breed Dog Photos and Information

Catherine Forman
Category Dog Breeds
The advantage of mixed breeds is that mutts tend to be less susceptible to health issues that plague pure breeds. This guide contains mixed breed dog photos and information

Catherine Forman0 found this helpful

Crossing dogs of other breeds with Poodles has become a bit of a phenomenon in recent days. Ideally, you get the best features of the poodle, the intelligence, the body shape, the low-shedding with the best features of the other partner. The most popular designer dog these days seems to be the Labradoodle, a Poodle and a Labrador Retriever combined.

The advantage of mixed breeds lies in the dog's health. Mutts tend to be less susceptible to health issues that plague pure breeds.

Unfortunately, giving a mixed breed a fancy name like Cockapoo (a Cocker Spaniel/Poodle mix) or Schnoodle (a Schnauzer/Poodle mix) makes some breeders feel like they have to also assign an outrageous price. Labradoodles can cost more than two thousand dollars in the United States! Chances are you can find an interesting mix of your own at a local shelter; give it a crazy name if it makes you feel better. My Boxer mix isn't a mutt; she is a Box-Pei (Boxer/Shar-pei mix).

Not all hybrids are a good idea. Mixing two dogs with respiratory problems, like a Pug and a Pekingese, can have disastrous results. Mixing two large dogs that are prone to problems like hip dysplasia, like a Newfoundland and a German Shepherd, could create a large problem.

Poodles seem to be the most popular candidate for designer mixed breeds. They are considered very smart dogs, and have the extra benefit of low shedding. Whether you are interested in an Aussiedoodle (Australian Shepherd/Poodle mix) or a Chinese Crestipoo (Chinese Crested/Poodle mix), you can probably find a breeder somewhere. Beware of amateur backyard breeders who don't exactly know what they're doing! Check the credentials of your breeders, and ask about the family history of the puppies.

Keep in mind that a designer dog, no matter what you pay for them, is a living thing and not a personal accessory. Make sure you are ready for whatever kind of dog you add to the family, you are making a lifelong commitment.

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

What would you call a Pomapoo mixed with a long haired teacup Chihuahua?

By Allison L.

Answers

A mutt.

Anonymous

Am sorry in if I am seeming mean but they are called a family member who happens to be a multiple canine purebreed mix. Why do human beings find the need to give a designer breed name to their fur baby instead of simply using their individual name?

I am of multiple ethnic origins. Does that mean I should have a cutsie mixed breed designer name too?

Pomapoochi, don't take the harsh comments to heart! I'm a Heinz 57 American. I understand the "want" to give a "breed" name for the mixes. My 4-legged son is a Wolf-Heeler & my kitties are mixed as well. Just love your baby! God bless!

I would call it a poochi. I bet it's a cutie!

Is there an actual breed of a Yorkie and Chihuahua mix or would they be considered mutts?

By jeffmarjann from Bloomington, IN

Answers

All mixed dogs are mutts. Particular mixes are in fashion right now (like Yorkie/chi and the GoldenDoodle) but they are not recognized as a separate breed.

I am thinking how cute that mix would be, a Yorkie and a Chihuahua...how adorable! :)

I think they are called Yorkhua or Chiyork. (lol)

I mean, lol :).

What does a Terra-Doodle dog look like please?

By Rita

Answers

I did a Google image search and found Terra dogs and Doodle dogs but no Terrar Doodle Dogs. I think the cutest is the Golden Doodle.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Taya Pookey Honey Bird will be 3 in September. She is a miniature poodle/papillion and pincher. We saw an ad, she had a brother and sister but right away we realized she was the one.

Comment Like this photo? 15

Bleux was a shelter dog for many months. Nicholas, a shelter volunteer, bonded with this massive boy instantly. Two guys, never afraid to share their love for each other even in a less-than-perfect world.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 16

He was an adoption through a shelter. He likes walks, fetch, tug-of-war, high energy, and he chews on everything!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

We got our miraculous dog, Kenny, from a foster home last summer.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

She is a rescue dog from a shelter. She loves to run and chew on her stuffed bear.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

My daughter got Stormy from a shelter. He loves to go to the dog park and play with his little girl friend. He also enjoys raiding the garbage when no one is home.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

I got Sarah when I was 14 and in the 9th grade. My mom and I drove down the road from our home and met Sarah's original owners at the town post office. I remember this tiny and scared furball being placed in my arms. She looked up at me and I fell in love.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

I found him. He likes to eat shoes.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Petey was a gift from God. After searching for 3 years I thought dah! and said a prayer. 3 days later God blessed me with the best dog in the world!

He was at a shelter in Palms Springs, California, where he was found as a stray! Can you imagine being thirsty down there in the desert?

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

I got her about 4 weeks old. She was left outside my boyfriend's store at 3 am on September 1.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Ginger showed up at our house out of the blue about a year and a half ago and made herself at home. We don't know what we'd do without her.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

I got him where I always would get my puppy, at our local doggy shelter. He also likes sitting on our deck in the sun and loves certain TV shows with animals.

He will watch iPad You Tube videos too.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

My grandparents' dog gave birth to them. They like to run around! They're tiny and hyperactive. All they do is run around and play with each other. Also, anything small enough to fit in their tiny puppy mouth gets chewed by them.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

I got her as a birthday gift. She likes running, pulling things, etc.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

A women was giving her away because she could not afford her. She loves to sleep and be cute.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Rex is 100% Dad's dog and Patch is 100% Mommy's but they hate to be away from each other.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3
Load More