AdviceDogs

What Breed is My Shepherd Mixed With?

I just adopted a German Shepherd mix from a shelter, he is three months now. He is tall and lean already, short hair, and barely sheds. he is very intelligent and loves sleeping, he is so cuddly. He gets along with most dogs.

Anyways, I am curious as to what he could be mixed with? His face is somewhat wrinkly sometimes and his ears don't stand straight up. He is a mix between two shades of brown and has a white chest. Can someone please help? I've gotten all different answers from friends and family. I'm thinking I should just go and get his blood tested, does anyone know how much that costs? Thanks!

By Elizabeth

Although you don't mention the characteristic curling tail, he kind of looks like he might be Basenji:

http://www.goog  ac.1.AYQhZdnXSok

Or possibly Rhodesian Ridgeback:

http://www.goog  1024&bih=654

I say that because of the unusual shape of the head and eyes (have a look at the pictures on my Google images searches and you'll see what I mean).

Dog DNA testing runs as high as $300 depending on your area-I have heard of it being done for as low as $150. An experienced canine vet (one who specialises in canine only care) would very likely be able to identify your dog's breeding with a high degree of accuracy without the expensive test.

Another way to figure it out on the cheap is to search breeds online and/or visit your local library for a copy of the latest AKC dog breed book. The book is filled with excellent photos and information on all recognised American (and some European) breeds.

Because you feel your dog is part GS, start your search in the 'working dogs' section of the book, or using the term as part of your online search for information.

Gorgeous little guy, such an intelligent and engaged face! Please update us when/if you find anything out.

Does it really matter what "mix" this sweet boy is? Just love him for who he is. His ears will never ever stand erect. A long and happy healthy life to both of you.

Did you ever find out what you dog is mixed with? I just adopted a puppy that looks just like yours, a shepherd mix! Please let me know if you found out anything!