What Is This Garden Plant?

I moved in a new home in Kent, England UK and this plant was taking over the sunny side of the garden last year. The tallest was about 40cm tall, the leaves look like baby spinach and are thin oval, it has a very long thin singular root stem and no flowers. I tried digging and pulling up the roots, but they break off easily, this year there are less of them, but still enough to bother me! Please does anyone know the name of this plant which I consider an annoying weed. Thanks.

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Weeds like this are very common in the US and so I feel sure they are also common in England.

Step 1
Knowing the name of the weed is probably not necessary as most DIY (home remedies) will kill most common weeds.

Step 2
Suggestions: you do not say how large an area is infected with this weed or if there are other plants near by so use any suggestions according to your yard problem.

Step 3
Drench the weed with boiling water. Will have to be repeated and great care is needed to not harm yourself in the process.

Step 4
Common table salt but only apply it directly to the leaves of the weeds, and do not soak the soil, especially in garden beds with other, more desirable, plants.

Step 5
Dissolve 1 part salt in 8 parts hot water (it can be made stronger, up to 1 part salt to 3 parts water), add a small amount of liquid dish soap (to help it adhere to the leaf surfaces), and pour into a spray bottle. To apply, cover or tie back any nearby plants you don't want to kill, then spray the leaves of the weeds with the solution. Be careful to not soak the soil, and keep this mixture away from cement sidewalks or driveways (it may discolor them). Multiple applications may be necessary.

Step 6
Apply white vinegar to the weed leaves. The vinegar can be applied by spraying full strength onto the leaves of the weeds, being careful to minimize any overspray on garden plants and nearby soil. Repeated applications may be necessary, and the addition of a little liquid dish detergent may improve the effectiveness of this homemade herbicide.

Step 7
Borax (sold as a laundry and cleaning product in grocery stores) Add 10 ounces of powdered borax to 2.5 gallons of water, mix thoroughly, and use a sprayer to coat the leaves of unwanted weeds in your yard. Keep overspray off of any plants you want to keep, avoid saturating the soil with the solution, and avoid contact with bare skin.

For the adventurous..
There is also a flame-weeder tool available from home and garden stores, which allows you to apply flame and heat directly to the weeds without catching the whole neighborhood on fire.

maybe that method should be left to the professionals!
here is a link to common weeds in Kent, England so you may be able find a name for your weed.

http://www.down … rg.uk/weedlf.htm

Thanks Cybergrannie, I will try some of your suggested methods. unfortunately my plant was not listed on the website you sent link to. I just want to know it's name so I can research in to it - it could be an edible weed?!

It did cover approx. 8 square metres but I have since paved and weed sheeted most of that area, however it has grown in all the remaining areas, shade or sunny positions. Other weeds nearby were Nettles, Dock Leaf, Wild Italian Rocket. Even after digging most of it and then covering it with thick cardboard and then 40cm shop bought compost, the plant pushed through!

Thanks for any advice.

That must be one tough weed! I did not see your weed on that website either but there is some good advice about killing weeds in general.
Do you have an agriculture agency in England? That is where I always go when I find something like this. Maybe I will ask them about your weed as these things rarely stay in one country.

Maybe you could take one to a pest/landscaping company and ask them about it. They may want to kill it for you but they might tell you the name.
Another suggestion.. take either a photo or the weed to a good garden center and see if they can help you identify it.
I am sorry I could not help more but good luck and post back if you find out what this weed is called.