LegalBusiness and Legal

When Is a Building Permit Required?

Do I need a permit to build an awning on my porch if my porch is already there?

We are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards (US only) for people who answer recent questions on ThriftyFun this month! Click here to find out more...

Best Answer

When do you need a building permit??

• Since no one knows where you live (U.S. or ??) no one can give you a legal answer to your question so please ask your question and get the correct answer from your local government.
  • Even my local city and county government do not always agree on when a permit is necessary so I have to check both sources before starting any new project as it is a heavy fine if done without a permit or even to the point of tearing down a completed project.
  • Ad

• Not all cities/counties are that strict but better safe than sorry.
  • Permits comprise a large share of their income/budget and they base the need for permits on that as well as other (safety/regulations/zoning/etc) factors.
  • It is always best to be on the safe side as only your city/county offices can answer your question.
  • What may be okay in one area of your city may not be okay in another area.
  • Some areas of our city it is illegal to grossly trim or cut down a tree without a permit (permission) so I think you should at least call and see what their agency tell you.

Information sites on permits can usually be obtained if you Google - local building permits with your zip code.

Buidling permits:

1. Small projects such as adding an awning to your existing porch doesn't require a building permit.
  2. Ad

3. A kitchen remodel doesn't require a building permit.
  4. Basically the only time you need a building permit is for large projects like adding a second story to your home.
  5. I'm not sure where you live or in what state. Some states have different requirement and might force everyone to apply for a permit if they are changing something small on their home.
  6. However, a new awning is considered home improvements and I have never seen any state require a home owner to get a building permit to do this.

You will have to go to your town and ask. The previous owners of our home had to get one.

Do you need building permit?

Step 1
When your doing snow canopies,driveway tents,or automotive canopies you do not need a permit.

Step 2
Here is the link scroll down to 13 it will tell you.

Step 3
https://www1.to  000071d60f89RCRD

I wouldn't think so, but you might want to check with your county officials to be sure. I guess it depends on where you live, but we added on an entire back porch with out getting a permit and nothing was said to us.