White Clothing Turned Pink

Clothing in the wash can pickup dye from other items and change color. This is a page about white clothing turned pink.

My 2 teen sons recently bought some t-shirts. The shirts are white with colorful pictures of trucks, etc. on them. My problem is that when washing them something red got in with the shirts. Needless to say now we have 7 new "pink" shirts that the boys refuse to wear. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get them white again? I have tried washing them in clorox, peroxide, bluing, and have even sprayed them and washed with resolve. Thanks for any ideas.

Betty from Ruckersville, VA

Answers

By Krysi (Guest Post)

That's going to be your best bet. Also you could try SuperClean. It's in the automotive aisle. It's what mechanics use to wash the oil/etc. from their clothes, and it really works AMAZINGLY. Just add a cup or two depending on how pink they are. You can use it on all your whites too (not baby clothes though, it will wash the fire retardant out). My ex was a mechanic, and that was 5 years ago.. I STILL use it on all my clothes! Way better than oxyclean.

By debbie (Guest Post)

i would just over-dye them with a darker color (like red, dark green, navy, etc) that your kids DO like.

By Joanne (Guest Post)

Place the pink T-shirts in a large tub of hot water. Boil a lemon in a couple of cups of water on the stove for a minute or two. Pour the boiled lemon and water into the tub of pink T-shirts and let them soak until the pink T-shirts are bright white again.

The boiled lemon is like a bleach. Don't mix the lemon with regular bleach. It will make holes in the material

By Marilyn Norton (Guest Post)

This happened to me. I read to use liquid (only) dishwasher detergent. I wet the material and submerged them into a container of 1/3 detergent to water. Agitate them and let soak only until the pink comes out. Worked great for me. Good Luck.

By Confused (Guest Post)

My baby clothes do this. When he poops up his back I soaked his clothes in water then put in the washer the next day. Took them out and the sleeper was bright pink.
I have also seen this with some throw up shirts I've washed out then laundered? Don't know what causes it. He is mostly breast fed, but not always.

By Ham Fam Mom (Guest Post)

Use 'all fabric bleach' from SA8. Mix with warm water and soak. Then wash with SA8 laundry detergent.

Works every time. I know because my husband has done this three times! You can get SA8 laundry products at www.BrileyShops.com

Another poster referred to SA8, but they have a better product which is Trizyme. OK, but this is past being a protein issue, it is a dye issue.
Get the Rit Dye Remover. Same place as Rit Dye is. Toss it in, that many shirts, use 1 bottle or 2 boxes. Hot water. Let it fill, dump in Rit then clothes, let swish. Shut off for about 15 minutes, Check shirts to see how they are coming, then go back and restart washer to run cycle to agitate. Never had anything NOT come out this way.
FYI, those with new front loading washers cannot do this, they have to do it on the stove in a large kettle. Cannot do dyes in those washers.

Just an FYI, SA8 & Trizyme are Amway products.

Anonymous

SuperClean is great it works on a lot stuff. My other half cleans the trash cans and the drive way with it. If you run your car through tar and you can get to it pretty quick it will take it off.

I now keep at least 2 jugs around just in case. Like another poster when working on cars it sure does a number on grease and oil

Sorry, tried this and it didn't work.

Best thing to do is hang clothes out in the sun and it takes the colour right out. Works great on lilly stamen stains too.

My daughter's cheer crop is blue with white inserts on the arms. The white has turned pink! The fabric is polyester and Spandex. I've tried hand washing in the sink and I'm now trying the baking soda paste to see if it helps. Anyone have other ideas? Will the RIT color remover work or will it ruin the blue?

Answers

Fill a 5 gallon bucket with hot tap water. Add 2 T each dishwasher powder and hydrogen peroxide. Soak overnight. Wash as usual in the morning.

Do you happen to know what garment the "pink/red" came from so you can isolate it next time? Sometimes a color run can come from just a red tag on another garment.

Hope you have not dried the cheer crop as that would make it more difficult to remove.

You definitely do not want to use Rit color remover as that would remove part or all of the blue also.

There is a product called Color Run Remover that is especially made for removing runs like this. It is sold at Walmart/Target type stores as well as online. Just be sure to test it on a small area of the blue first so you know the blue is colorfast. Do not dry garment until you are sure all the pink is gone.

www.walmart.com/.../17283474

In the future, you may want to use Color Grabber in your first wash to maybe keep colors from running.

Nothing pink or red washed with the crops that I found. There were just 15 crops in the wash. I will try your suggestion. Thank you!

I recently used the color run remover and it seemed to do the trick. It wasn't spandex though. i wonder if you can remove the colour of a synthetic fabric

I just read a recipe for homemade Oxi clean, which I am going to try today so I can't vouch for it yet, but it is for a similar situation as you have, but my issue is blue on white (jeans bled to a shirt).

So it calls for 1 cup water, 1/2 cup baking soda and 1/2 cup regular peroxide. Whisk together, put 1/2 directly on to the stain and let it soak in (10-15 minute) then put the rest in the washer with the regular detergent, let it sit on a soak cycle, then regular wash, then rinse. It says it could take 2 -3 tries.

If you try it before me, let me know if it works. I need to get more peroxide so I can try it tomorrow or Tuesday. I hope it works for us both!!!

I just had to post back.

Since it was just one item I was dealing with, and all I had was 1/3 cup of the peroxide, I reduced it to 1/3 cup baking soda and 2/3 cups water and whisked it together and put it on the stain (which was old by the way--I had set the shirt aside and forgot about it until I saw this recipe).

So I put it on the stain, let it set for about 15 minutes, dumped the rest in the washer with the rest of the shirts (mostly whites, but some had color sleeves and trims that I know NEVER bleed) and washed as usual with the regular amount of Tide.

The stain is almost gone just a very, very faint outline of it!! I am so excited. I am now totally out of the ingredients, so I will repeat tomorrow.

If we get sun (ha ha--it is Pittsburgh after all), I will line dry it outside as sun helps the process too! I am just thrilled! This may have saved my favorite shirt!! Woo hoo!!

PS, the only thing I did not like about this solution is that there was some "residue" left in the place where you are supposed to put fabric softener--mine is in the center of the 1/2 agitator thingy. I never use fabric softener due to allergies, so that wasn't the issue. I just had to wipe it out. It was the baking soda grit left over. But that was an easy clean up!

My 100% polyester white, nice shirt has been dyed pink. How can I get it back to white without ruining my shirt?

Thank you

I accidentally turned white clothes pink. How do I get them back to white?

By joe from 00623

Answers

You can use a color remover, but before you buy it, if you clothes are all white, try bleach:.
Color Remover:www.dharmatrading.com/.../1535-AA.shtml
RIT also makes one. You'll find it at any craft or fabric store.

Never use Carbona Color Run Remover. It will run all the colors into each other. This will not save you money. Try washing them again with a color catch cloth. This was not a thrifty solution, it cost me so much more money. I used 3 packages at $3 each. Now I have to replace all my daughter's clothes. I am guessing it will be over $100.

Anonymous

A little bleach and hot boiling water . Does the trick....old schooling

I attended a concert of my favorite band, finally, and when I washed my concert jersey that's black with white sleeves the white sleeves turned pink. There was nothing red or pink in the wash. Nonetheless, how do I correct this? I can't wear it with pink sleeves!

Help!

This is a page about bleach has made my clothing pink. Bleach can have unexpected results when used on colored clothing.

A pink stained shirt.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

I accidentally had a red shirt in washing machine with all my cotton whites. My underwear, my husbands and favorite white night shirts are now pink. I am soaking in Oxyclean overnight with bleach for colors. Any other idea if the clothes are still pink tomorrow?

Sue from FL

Answers:

White Clothes Are Now Pink

Rit makes Color Remover. It comes in a little white box with purple lettering. You can buy it at Walmart. My husband had washed a brand new pair of dark blue jeans with my cream sheets, and I used this stuff. Everything came out. I think they make stuff specifically for whites turned pink. Hope that helps!

By Sarah

White Clothes Are Now Pink

I love a product called Iron Out, made specifically for removing rust from clothes. You can find it in the cleaning isle of your grocery or department store.

By Brenda

White Clothes Are Now Pink

I swear by this recipe. One half cup of Clorox bleach and one half cup of powdered Cascade in a gallon of warm water. Soak overnight.

By Sandy

White Clothes Are Now Pink

Old trusty chlorine bleach works great for 100% cotton whites. You have to be careful and follow the directions, though, because fabric can be weakened if it comes in direct contact with undiluted bleach.

By Elizabeth

White Clothes Are Now Pink

Rit also makes two other products with descriptions like whiteners/brighteners . Be sure to buy Rit "Color Remover" mentioned by princslugi rather than these whiteners/brighteners They are probably not strong enough to get the pink out. I have used the color remover and had good success.

By Claudia

White Clothes Are Now Pink

Put the clothes in a basin with your usual detergent. Boil a cut up lemon in about 1 cup of water for a couple of minutes. Add it to the clothes and let them soak. They will come out bright and white.

By Joanne

White Clothes Are Now Pink

I am dealing with a 20x30 flag that faded. soaking is out of the question. It will get worse. It has to be done by hand I will try the lemon. Rit color remover will not work, because it will affect the red.

Editor's Note: I recommend Oxiclean rather than the lemon juice, to get the white back to white and keep the red, red.

By April -Swift Flag

White Clothes Are Now Pink

Carbona Color Run Remover. Pink box, blue writing. You can find it at any store.

By Alicia

White Clothes Are Now Pink

Try soaking the clothing in cold water and salt. It seemed to help when my red dress with white flowers became a red dress with pink flowers.

By Tina

White Clothes Are Now Pink

Yeah, there is a product in the cleaner isle that is made for that. I think it was Tide. Check it out

By Alicia

I accidentally turned everything in the wash pink. Is there anyway that I can get everything back to it's normal color? The wash was mostly whites, T-shirts, etc.

By Donna from TX

Answers:

White Clothes Are Now Pink

If everything that got a color change is cotton you could very carefully bleach them back to white, as for the colors, you might want to go ahead and make them a "color" and say you wanted them that way. That way you can get the rest of the use for most of the items. Of course if they are pink, and you live near Phoenix (Joe the warden), Arizona, you might want to rethink that. Of course I am trying to be funny in an un-funny situation, but I have done that before, just to save on my kids clothing expenses. If you do bleach anything, do not over do the amount. You can always do a second wash and rinse. (06/27/2009)

By Loretta

White Clothes Are Now Pink

A few years ago my ex husband had told me a shirt of his that I had bought was pink. I paid quite a bit for it and wasn't too happy. He brought it over and I used Carbona color remover. This shirt had decals or silkscreen too, but I thought well it is already ruined what the heck. It was beautiful and he wore it to the father daughter dance. (06/27/2009)

By Dianna L. Grimes

Home and Garden Cleaning Clothing StainsJuly 20, 2016
🎃