Making a Lotus Pod and Crepe Paper Fall Wreath
Wrap a cardboard wreath form with raffia and then decorate with fall colored crepe paper and lotus pods. This beautiful wall or door decoration is fun and easy to make. It can be used year after year, if protected from inclement weather.
Share on ThriftyFunThis page contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
October 24, 2017
Here is a colorful wreath for the fall season! This is a great way to add some drama to your front porch.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: one wreath
- wreath base made from vinyl record jackets and an empty packaging box - see Recycled Wreath Base
- strings of natural raffia
- five dried lotus seed pods (no stems)
- yellow and orange crepe paper
- yellow tissue paper
- 9 in high natural twig heart
- 1.4 in wide natural rustic burlap (Hessian) ribbon
- 6 in of cream colored satin ribbon, 0.1" wide and with a golden metallic edge
- Scotch tape
- hot glue gun and glue sticks
- standard scissors
- Use a piece of Scotch tape to secure the one end of a string of raffia to the back of the wreath's base. Wrap the raffia tightly around the base and when reaching the end of the string, secure the raffia at the back with Scotch tape again. Repeat with more strings until the whole base has been covered with raffia.
- Hot glue three seed pods to the raffia covered wreath.
- Cut 4" sized squares from the crepe and tissue papers. Fold a square in half, then pinch it in the center and ruffle it up towards the centre of the square to form a flower. Add a drop of hot glue to the wreath and glue the centre of the square flower to the wreath.
- Continue hot gluing square flowers and the other two seed pods to the wreath - three quarters of the wreath should be covered.
- Make a bow with the burlap ribbon and neatly cut the bow's ends.
- Hot glue the twig heart and the burlap ribbon to the top of the wreath.
- Make a loop with the cream colored satin ribbon and hot glue it at the back of the wreath, so that you can hang the wreath.
October 26, 20170 found this helpful
Another pretty project!
October 27, 20170 found this helpful
Aaaawwww, thanks attosa!