AdviceHealth & Beauty

Allergic Materials in Carpets

We are in the process of replacing our carpet in the bedroom. I'm reading about allergic responses to some carpet materials. Can you elaborate? My husband says "it's from the adhesive bonding materials used." Is he right?

By Charlotte in FL

Anonymous

Prior to having your carpet installing, call the company that you are purchasing the carpet from (I assume they are also providing the installation of it) & request that 3 days prior to coming to your home that they open the carpet in their building to let it air out. That is usually enough time to have the chemical odors removed, therefore
allowing the alleviation of it to be more beneficial when installed in your home.

Hope this hint helps. I had read about this tip many years ago & over the course of having carpeting installed beyond 30 years, I have always asked for this request. A good & caring company will cooperate with your request. Good Luck.

- Joes' Girl

Anonymous

Here is a good site for finding out about allergens in new carpets. Hope this helps.
- Susan