Check The Price Per Ounce When Shopping

I've found that when grocery shopping, it pays to check the price per ounce. Sometimes a sale item isn't the cheapest product. Kids love to help with grocery shopping. While shopping, asking them to compare prices and price(s) per ounce for various foods.

By Lisa from IL

I always compared unit prices before buying, but you run into problems when one of the items is on sale and it's not reflected in the unit price. Or you have a coupon for one item and then you want to see if it's a better deal or not to buy the generic or use the coupon.

Sometimes I've noticed that items in the same category are broken down to ounces and then pounds so it is a little more difficult to compare. Then when you go into a big box store (BJ's, Costco or Sam's Club) and they have much bigger sizes than the supermarkets. I remember the supermarket prices in my head but not the unit prices!

To solve all of this, I never leave home without my mini calculator. People must think I'm crazy to be standing there with my calculator but it does help a lot with figuring out what is the best deal.

I used to do all the per-unit price comparisons I could. And it's a great way to practice math skills, too.