Removing Red Hair Dye from Hair

How do I get vibrant red out of my hair?

By Natalie from Wigan, England

It depends on what kind of hair dye you used and what shape your hair was in before you put the red on. If you use hair color with red tones in it over bleached hair (which is very porous from the bleach), your hair "grabs" the red and the results can be pretty scary. If you used a red toned color over bleached hair, you will probably just have to cover it up with a deposit-only (NON-PERMANENT) hair dye in a darker, neutral color. The alternative is to pay a hairdresser to strip the color off your hair (if one will, sometimes they won't), which is very damaging to your hair and it will also usually make your hair not hold color as well.

My sympathies to you. I have turned my hair every color of the rainbow except blue. You never forget that shock of the first look in the mirror after you rinse out that dye and find out you made a big boo-boo. Beware if you decide to dye over it with a deposit-only (non-ammonia, non-permanent, shampoo out hair color) not to use an ash based, gold tone based OR other red based color. Get one that has a neutral base. If you go to a beauty supply store, they'll know what you mean when you ask for a deposit only neutral hair color product. I gave up using permanent hair color entirely after I turned my hair HOT PINK in 2005 and had to pay $160 to have it stripped and colored over.

Email me at texasauthor AT gmail DOT com if I can help you at all, I've been there! Hope this helps you.

I know this sounds odd but, my SIL just had this problem and the girl at a salon told her to try this and it worked. Use regular dish soap all over hair..plastic wrap head let almost dry...wash out soap. SIL was "worried" a citrus type dish soap would just add color brightness. She ended up using Ivory brand.

I have dyed my hair red, but it makes me too old looking. What can I do to remove the red?

By K D

Answers

I have had people tell me that you can shampoo your hair with liquid hand dish washing soap, that will either remove the coloring or tone it down.

I was told to use Prell shampoo when I had my hair dyed and it was too red. IT took some of the redness out.