Removing Dye from Hair

Category Coloring
girl with dyed hair
When you don't like the color your hair has been dyed, you may need to remove it. This guide is about removing dye from hair.

I hate the hair color that my hair is. I dyed it thinking I had the same color I had before. Well, too late. It is darker and reddish. Please help me if you can cheaply if possible. Thanks.

By Dar from TX

I don't know if this works because I've never tried it, but I've read that washing your hair with baking soda will remove some of the color.

Put about a teaspoon or a little more baking soda in your hand, add shampoo, mix them together and wash your hair as usual.

Hope this helps...

I found washing my hair several times in a row helped take out the extra dye.

How do I get vibrant red out of my hair?

By Natalie from Wigan, England

It depends on what kind of hair dye you used and what shape your hair was in before you put the red on. If you use hair color with red tones in it over bleached hair (which is very porous from the bleach), your hair "grabs" the red and the results can be pretty scary. If you used a red toned color over bleached hair, you will probably just have to cover it up with a deposit-only (NON-PERMANENT) hair dye in a darker, neutral color. The alternative is to pay a hairdresser to strip the color off your hair (if one will, sometimes they won't), which is very damaging to your hair and it will also usually make your hair not hold color as well.

My sympathies to you. I have turned my hair every color of the rainbow except blue. You never forget that shock of the first look in the mirror after you rinse out that dye and find out you made a big boo-boo. Beware if you decide to dye over it with a deposit-only (non-ammonia, non-permanent, shampoo out hair color) not to use an ash based, gold tone based OR other red based color. Get one that has a neutral base. If you go to a beauty supply store, they'll know what you mean when you ask for a deposit only neutral hair color product. I gave up using permanent hair color entirely after I turned my hair HOT PINK in 2005 and had to pay $160 to have it stripped and colored over.

Email me at texasauthor AT gmail DOT com if I can help you at all, I've been there! Hope this helps you.

I know this sounds odd but, my SIL just had this problem and the girl at a salon told her to try this and it worked. Use regular dish soap all over hair..plastic wrap head let almost dry...wash out soap. SIL was "worried" a citrus type dish soap would just add color brightness. She ended up using Ivory brand.

I dyed my hair a dark brown color at the end of 2014 and the ends are still the same color as when I dyed them. How can I get the color out without bleaching or cutting it? My hair is long and I get it trimmed when needed. But the bottom 6" of my hair is still dark and and the top is my natural blonde color.

The only practical way to remove the darker color from your hair is with the use of a professional color remover. This will effectively remove the color, though it could take two treatments. The treated hair will be much lighter, but will not be the same color as your virgin hair and could require more color to approach your virgin color.

You may choose to 'live' with the resulting color without further coloring. I cannot stress enough that when using a color remover, you should do a strand test first. This way, you will know what the entire results will be. You will also know just how long to leave the remover on your hair.

I have silver coming in and often don't "keep up with it" as I should. I used a "warm golden brown" and ended up with reddish hair. No way! I hate it. I want to go back to medium brown. I don't have a photo.

By Chris G.