Toilet Plunger

With the low volume toilets required in homes these days, it's almost certain you'll need a plunger at least once a week. To keep mine from messing up the floor after use, I use a lid from a Cool Whip bowl to set it on. It fits perfectly and keeps the floor clean and dry!

By Susan

By Joan (Guest Post)

LOVE IT.

Great tip, thanks.

By Carolyn (Guest Post)

What a great tip! I have the same problem. I also keep a jar under my sink and pour extra water into the bowl after flushing. I know it defeats the purpose of saving as much water, but my toilets don't seem to stop up as much.

I learned a few years ago when we built a new house that the best way to keep from plunging is to teach my family that if there is something except liquid in the toilet then you hold down the handle until the bowl is empty! It works like a charm. It took a while to teach my dds and dh to do this but.............................no more overflowing toilets.

A planter quite often comes with a base to set the planter on. I use this base to set the toilet plunger onto. It is meant for holding extra liquid and has a nice rim on it.

I also find that it is sturdier than lids from cool whip/yogurt/margarine containers and looks nicer. They are usually under $1 to buy because you only need a small one and many colors are available.