Dresser Drawers Stuck Closed

I have a dresser that was my grandmother's; it is over 80 years old and made of real wood. It had a large heavy TV sitting on top of it for years. Now I can't open any of the drawers. So what can I do without damaging the dresser? Thank you for any help.

By Robbie from Douglasville, GA

It may sound like a hassle, but the first thing to do is empty out each drawer. Then turn it upside down and run an old/new candle across the bottom 'rungs' of the drawer. You may have to do this a couple of times but try inserting the drawer and pulling it in and out in order to build up the wax on both the bottom of the dresser and where it comes in contact with the drawer. It should work after only one or two applications of the wax on the drawer bottom(s). I've had to do this with some older dressers and it works like a charm. Good luck. If it has a center support (as mine do), also run the wax through that so it glides easier too.

That is what you do once the drawers are opened but how do you get the stuck drawers open to start with? Its like they are so swollen from the humidity that they are glued to sides. There is no give at all. It wont budge at all - completely jammed with no access to force it open.